• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

urine scolds...

my darling posey mo was put to sleep this weekend with a tumour i loved her dearly but knowing how many rabbits out there need homes i advertised for a new little girl straight away( bi didnt go to the local jspca as they put down a lot of rabbits simply for being rabbits) I was contacted by a lovely lady who had a little girl from an accidental litter.. i picked her up yesterday shes a good weight but dirty.. i let her settle in with tumness van damme and bathed he today her fur on her legs has come off and their red and sore and all scabbed up ... soooo what do i do? firstly how do i treat the rabbit and secondly should i speak to her and how? i know she has three other rabbits and im guessing urine takes a while to do this... i also know shes getting the male castrated so she can have marge and rodney together... what do i do?....... i hate this

I bit more information would be useful. Whereabouts on the legs? Front legs or back legs, or both? Is it definitely urine? :wave: :)

Fur can fall out for a variety of reasons. On the legs it can be caused by urine scald like you say, but it can also be caused by the rabbit living in a wet environment.

i dont know what it is really her bum and most of her fur was dirty and all the back hocks of her legs are red sore and manky i have antibiotic wound powder i can put on? i didnt go and pick her up my partner did... he said it was a tiny hutch but it was dark so he couldnt see... the hutch is outside but seemed pretty protected..

Sounds like a vet visit is needed.

It *might* be a urinary tract infection, but probably more likely to be the result of dirty living conditions if the bun is young and in good health otherwise

my darling posey mo was put to sleep this weekend with a tumour i loved her dearly but knowing how many rabbits out there need homes i advertised for a new little girl straight away( bi didnt go to the local jspca as they put down a lot of rabbits simply for being rabbits) I was contacted by a lovely lady who had a little girl from an accidental litter.. i picked her up yesterday shes a good weight but dirty.. i let her settle in with tumness van damme and bathed he today her fur on her legs has come off and their red and sore and all scabbed up ... soooo what do i do? firstly how do i treat the rabbit and secondly should i speak to her and how? i know she has three other rabbits and im guessing urine takes a while to do this... i also know shes getting the male castrated so she can have marge and rodney together... what do i do?....... i hate this

Hmmm.lovely people don't let their rabbits get in that sort of state, surely. Take your bun to a vet , let him/her assess her condition, and then contact the lady and ask her to pay for any treatment that's required, and tell her that the vet is aware and that she should take in the rest of her rabbits to be checked over as there's a high chance that the rest of the accidental litter are in the same condition and will therefore need treatment. If you don't get a reasonable response from her then go straight to JRSPCA and report the matter, backed up with a report from your vet.

ive e mailed the woman i got her from and shes meeting me down the vets..

that sounds positive - I am sure she must be a nice person, she is probably one of those that cares - just not enough to pay attention :( Hopefully now she will take more care of her daughter's pets. Why oh why are so many people so ignorant, it is very sad.

Vibes and hugs for your new family member, it sounds like he (and hopefully the rest of his bunny family) have had a lucky escape finding you!

Emma

That's seems a very positive response from the lady. I know my post came over very cynical, but past experiences with some owners has taught me to expect the worst! Hopefully things will work out for your bunster and his siblings. As Huppie has said, because of your decision to have this bunny the future now looks brighter for the rest. Well done:D

Last edited:
Our little mini lop, Shiri was quite recently diagnosed with a urinary tract infection which in turn caused urine scald on her legs...she has recovered nicely and her fur is growing back.

I hope your bunny is allright and received the same great treatment our bunny did. All the best!

Back