• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Male bunny hay problem

Daniel1Dirk

Banned
Hey all:wave: I have a male bun alone in my hutch and every time I put hay in, he like scratches and pushes all the hay thrue the poop holes. What should I do?

Do you mean the floor is like, mesh? :?

Try him with different types of hay, and give him his hay in a rack :) Bunnies do dig, and it sounds like normal bunny behaviour to me :lol: Ronnie is always digging in his hay, think its to find the best bits :roll: xXx

I've never heard of a place called mason in the uk but if you can get to the hayexperts.co.uk they have a wide variety of hays in a sample package you could try out. If you're in the US or wherever there must be a place similar you could try. I've found that mine prefer meadow hay and don't prefer the posh hay as much :roll:

But all buns are different so have a go! :D

Hi Daniel - wire floors are not good for buns feet. They hurt them. He may be trying to cover the holes to smooth the floor out perhaps. Can you put some cardboard or lino on the floor and then put the hay on that and see if he still does it?

wire floors arent good for buns feet (or any animal as far as I know). put newspaper down on it

Well he's an outside bun in hutch this is what it looks like
IMG_5031-1.jpg
and heres the one who pushes it down.
IMG_5032-1.jpg
notice the metal floor, thats what it is.

I wouldnt have any bun on a wire mesh floor :?
Can you not put wooden boards down or carpet or even blankets as it will be more comfey for his feet!??

Is that one big hutch for him? If so can you board half with wood so he has a place to rest without hurting his feet and a place to put his hay?? :D

Last edited:
Does he have a litter tray? You can train them to go in a litter tray and it stops the floor getting messy. :) How big in feet is the area he has access to? Does he have a run?

You must be from the US :)
It's rather common over there to house rabbits in hutches with mesh floor or hanging cages :cry:
Why not litter train him and have stable floors? Surely it'd be alot cleaner and more comfortable for him?
I know i wouldn't like to walk on mesh, also they could get their toes caught :?

Back