• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Need advice on dental buns

NickieM

Warren Veteran
I found a wee bun last Wednesday and it has been with us nearly a week and no-one has phoned to claim him.

I took him to the vet who said that his runny eye was due to dental problems but they would need to do a GA to establish how bad they were. (He was the farm/large animal vet, and I think he thought I was mad to even think about keeping the bun). He put his finger into his mouth to give him a quick examination.

But he is such a lovely compliant and contented bunny. I gave him a little run yesterday and it took him 3 hours to pluck up the courage to come out of the hutch. I think it is possibly because he has never been loose before. I don't think he is used to having hay to eat or good quality bunny food. Indeed, that is probably why his teeth are in such poor shape.

I have had the idea in my head the last couple of days of keeping him, but I am terrified in case I am taking on too much financially with a bun with dental problems. I have phoned the vets and asked for an estimate for having him neutered (he has a retained testicle too), doing an dental examination at the same time and giving him a myxi. I also asked them to give me an idea of what the cost of the worst kind of maintenance work would be and very run of the mill stuff.

I hope it isn't too dreadful and that I can consider keeping him as I am not sure that he will get a home with his problems.

I will also face the problem of bonding him with my existing pair as I have no intention of getting a mate for him. Can people please advise me if I am being mad and give me some helpful advice.

I want to make a decision based on sound facts and not just with my heart (which is desperately trying to sway the argument).

Can I especially hear from folk with experience of a dental bun and what it involves. Also bonding into a trio.

Back