• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Swelling of the nose

buffytariq

Young Bun
My sable buck seems to have a swollen nose

He is very healthy and eats and waters happily

It doesn't seem to bother him and it is not seeping any discharge

Has anyone else had this problem
DSCF2653.jpg

DSCF2654.jpg

Is he Myxomatosis vaccinated ?
Does he have lumps anywhere else ?
Are his genitals swollen?

If he is a stud Buck it may be Treponematosis (syphillis)

there is no other swelling anywhere else on his body and this has only been happening in the last week. He has not been in contact with any other rabbit with syphilis as i have jut had my two other bucks PTS because of it.

there is no other swelling anywhere else on his body and this has only been happening in the last week. He has not been in contact with any other rabbit with syphilis as i have jut had my two other bucks PTS because of it.

Why on earth were they PTS :shock: :cry:

Its treatable with a course of Depocillin injections.

If the Buck has been mated up then I'd say he too has syphillis. He could have contracted it at birth from his Mother. Please consider obtaining treatment for him. He can lead a perfectly long and happy life as a PET Rabbit.

Here is some info on the treatment required. He really does not need to be euthanised just because he cant be used for breeding :cry:

http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp?cfile=htm/bc/171321.htm

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=5&ct=result

Last edited:
:( It's a worry that a Vet would not know that rabbit syphillis is easily treatable :(

Treponema cuniculi ("rabbit syphilis") This spirochaete causes redness, oedema, vesicles, ulcers, scabs and proliferative lesions around the perineum, and also around the face from autoinnoculation. Transmission is venereal and by direct contact. Affected does can infect kits at birth. Rabbits can be asymptomatic carriers, with overt disease precipitated by stress. Clinical signs are very characteristic, but definitive diagnosis involves microscopic visualisation of the organism from scrapes on a dark field background, or with special silver stains on biopsy. It is often self-limiting, but effective treatment is with penicillin once every 7 days for 3 doses. All exposed rabbits should be treated. Rabbit syphilis is not zoonotic.

Please take your bunny to the vets and get the appropriate treatment and let us know how you get on

Syphilis can be spread much easier that first thought, it is perfectly treatable and certainly not a reason to PTS :cry: :cry:

My buns had it, had a course of depocillin injections and made a complete recovery

He is on a course of antibiotics but it still seems to be swollen.

I know it seems cruel to put the other two PTS but it was the best decision for them and one of them was old and you could tell he wasn't happy. Th either one i had to keep away from the others so he became depressed. It was a very hard decision which i thought was appropriate at them time so please dont judge me on that.

None of us can change the past :cry: But for any cases in the future, it really is incredibly simple to cure especially if taken to the vets at an early stage before it gets too invasive.

I wouldn't separate an infected bun from any others it is in contact with, I would just treat them all. I have done this in the past on veterinary advice - Dudley had it and Santa didn't, but I didn't separate them and just treated them both. Because it has a 12 week incubation, chances are that any 'in contact' buns have already contracted the infection. Treating all 'in contact' buns at the same time means that the infection can be stopped in all of them, rather than it being passed round and round in circles.

What antibiotics is he on? Penicillin (injected) is the cure for syphillis, the other antibiotics commonly used in rabbits won't touch it.

Back