• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Netherland dwarf... good pets?

I honestly don't think that any rabbit is good to have for small children, but if you could pick one that would be worst, I think it would be a netherland dwarf!

Young children want to cuddle and hug pets, and rabbits are prey animals so when they are being cuddled and hugged they actually think they are about to be eaten which as I'm sure you can imagine is very frightening for them. Rabbits are better pets for older children who are happy to just watch them and interact with them by sitting on the floor quietly and letting the rabbits come to see them if they want to. Sadly rabbits are often looked upon as an easy first childs pet and nothing could be further from the truth, one of the most common reasons for rabbits being taken to rescues in the uk is that the children get bored - mainly because they discover that they can't handle and hug the rabbit as they want to.

Personally I think that smaller rabbits are worse for children because they stand more chance of having bones broken etc because young children (e.g. under the age of 11) are simply unable to handle them effectively. A rabbit that feels insecure will struggle and is likely to be dropped or grabbed, resulting in broken bones or worse. Netherland dwarves have a tendency to be particularly 'skittish' and highly strung, so although I would actually say the same about all rabbits, I would absolutely 100% avoid this breed for young children!

I would say Nethies are probably one of the worst breeds of rabbit to have with children. They are very mischevious and often bossy. They are also incredibly hard to hold and tend to be very easily dropped by adults as well as children.

When I was running a rescue we used to suggest families with children got a bigger rabbit that the children didn't (read couldn't) try to carry and could sit and pet on ground level under supervision.

I have to agree with the above.
My very first rabbit was a Natherland Dwarf and she is like a little turbo charged dynamo or a fizzy bottle of pop waiting to burst most of the time. She never sits still and is always on the go. I have noticed this even more now that I have adopted 3 dutchies to join her.
As for cuddles....not on your life. She is way too busy exploring and charging around to want to be picked up for cuddles....and that's if you could catch her:?. She will allow you to pet and stroke her but always on her terms.

Having said all that, she is a great little character and we love her to bits for all her funny ways but I wouldn't recommend one for small children, particularly if you are looking for a cuddlebun. Good luck :wave:

Ive only ever had a netherland dwarf here on a temp basis as a rescue. I dont think they would make a very good childrens pet at all to be honest :? Theyre too tiny, their bones could get broken. They are also very fast!!! So you will find they will more than likely run away from the children. They can also be very fiesty :)

A medium sized bun is more suitable for children i should think, though i wouldnt personally get a child a rabbit. I look after small children from home, at first they were interested in the rabbits, they now come round and ignore the rabbits :?

Unless you can take full responsibility of the rabbit, and be willing to care for it when the children are bored, id think twice :) xXx

I have 3 nethies and they would make a terrible pet for a child. They can be nippy, bossy and want everything on their own terms. Mine do not like being picked up and if I want to give them attention they will come to me in their own time.

I would not say a rabbit is a good pet for small children at all but I agree with Sooz in that a bigger rabbit would be better. :wave:

I have two neddies & tbh would not recomend for children. Before Rosie was neutered she would box, lunge & nip & she is still very nervous, skittish & easilly scared. Panda......well he is not called Kung Fu panda for nothing. I love them both to pieces but they are not easy.

If you thinking about getting a rabbit for kids remember:

They should live to 7 years +, there are many that live well beyond that. This means that you may be left holding the bunny when the kids flee the nest.

They need to be fed & watered twice a day & cleaned out every other day. Kids can get bored quite quickly & leave you holding the bunny .....again.

Only procedue if you are happy for the bunny to be YOUR rabbit.

A medium sized breed, probably from a rescue where temperament is already known is probably your best option.

I wouldn't have one with small children. They can be very nervous little things. Mine are full of confidence and love attention but get easily frightened. I'd think a bigger bun would be better, lops generally are cuddly friendly buns, but like all buns it depends on many things how they turn out.

Tinkerbell is like a little fizzed up bottle of pop, always on the go and soooo wriggly when you hold her.

They are small so people think their accomodation can be small :roll: but they actually need loads of space as they are so bouncy :D

They are gorgeous but definately high maintainance and need lots of exercise.

My Geronimo certainly has the most attitude out of all the buns but he is soooo sweet with his wife, Pancake :love:

As said above, no bunny really makes a good pet for children as they do not enjoy being handled (on the whole).

Misc024.jpg

My first rabbit when I was little was a nethie, but I was about 7 or 8 and I respected him greatly and didn't think he was an animated soft toy to be cuddled. He was fantastic and would sit on the sofa leaning against me watching tv. But everything was on his terms and he HATED my dad with a passion and bit him on numerous occasions.

Would not recommend one for the average child. I currently have two dwarf lops that were rescues ans live outside - they are both adorable. They do tend to get under your feet when cleaning them out and I often have one sat on the shovel or 2 inches behind me so I daren't step backwards. :lol:

Don't get a rabbit because you think they are the easy option compared to a dog or cat as they need as much time and care, if not more than a cat or small dog.

Last edited:
I think they look very cute, because they are a small rabbit for children, but i wouldn't have that breed for children.
The one i had was very hard to hold and pick up. She was grumpy and my son i brought her for then, was unable to hold her, and became frightened of her. I don't say they are all like that but it put me off nethies. I think if i was going for 1 now for small children, i would consider a lion head, as the one's Ive seen and held have been quite relaxed. :D

ill be honest and say my nethie seems a bit of an angel compared 2 some! haha but she is more of the "im-gonna-freeze-to-evade-this-handling" rather than a panic-run-away-attack kinda bun. Shes a good little stomper tho! hehe

Would definatly recommend a larger breed, they just seem to adapt to being handled quicker :p of seemed like it when i was young :D

p.s. i love love love my nethie :D :D :D :love::love::love:

My nethie despises my son but is really good with my eleven year old(and much calmer) daughter. He is really my OH's bunny though:love:eachother

I have 2 Netherland dwarfs and I have a 2 year old daughter, she loves them and they love her, they are very sweet and caring with her and so is she. All depends on how your children are around animals. Also I adopted my rabbits who were born into a family with children so they were used to being around and handled by children.

Back