• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

advice needed pls: urgent re babies!

happypreso

Alpha Buck
Hi, can anyone help me please I dont know what to do! My doe had babies 5 1/2 wks ago and all has been well until today .. the mum has just attacked 2 out of 4 of the babies. Why would she do this? and what shall I do? I have seperated them at the mo ... is that the right thing to do? and do I keep them seperated? any advice pls? she (the mum) is a crazy bun at the mo!

Yes, separate the babies from Mum.

Has Mum been in with a male rabbit since the babies were born? because it sounds like she may be pregnant again

Id keep them seperated and buy some goats milk or lactol and be prepared to hand feed them.
She may attack a) if shes pregnant again b) shes a young bunny

I would definitely keep them seperate. They will be eating more or less on their own now so should be fine without hand feeding.

I would get some probiotics to add to their water. I'm sure you have had dad neutered...but is he in with mum still..

Hmm i think you have no other choice but to separate them. Take all the babies away. They must be eating solid food now right? So give them pellets plenty of hay and perhaps, give your vet a call and check but get some goats milk or kitten milk add a bit of probiotic to it and offer it to the babies in a very shallow saucer perhaps?
Jane may be able to help as she raised the petshop 5 I think by giving them saucers of a replacement milk?
Is this mum's second litter? I cant remember but I'm thinking it might be? Just wondering if perhaps there's not been long between the litters maybe she's getting fed up with them?

Yes, you could offer them a saucer of full fat goats milk with probiotics in. You can buy Avipro probiotics from Pets at Home.

Little U/D

I have seperated them and the babies all seem fine this morning. They are all eating solids so that is okay and I happen to be going to the vets today anyway so will chat to them as well.

The mum shouldn't be pregnant again. She has been with a male (over the last few weeks though not just yesterday) however he has been neutered and it was about 6 wks after the op before they started being together again .......

They will be weaned now anyway, giving them milk can cause problems with diarrhea! just let them eat whatever Mum has been eating. :wave:

thanks everyone. The vet said that she has the mum has probably just had enough as well and that as they are 6 wks tomorrow there is no need to do anything else, just carry on as normal (ie food they are used too, hay and water etc).

Back