• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Male vs Female...

Is the bunny going to be a classroom pet?
I don't think sex/breed makes any difference. Each bun is an individual and has it's own unique personality. Their personality can also change after they've been neutered :D

I think it depends on the rabbit rather than its sex. I've had lovely males and females and some not so nice ones :lol: It depends on many things, the genetics, how the rabbits been raised, what experiences its had etc.

Personally I have mostly found bucks to be a more agreeable 'pet' than does, does seem to be more independant and skittish when it comes to handling.

I dont think many buns will be calm going backwards and forwards to a load of young students and then to your home. Buns like routine and they can get very stressed moving to different environments.

I agree that it may not be suitable as a classroom pet as they are intelligent creatures and they like routine. It is best for rabbits if they are in pairs. Do not keep one on its own on purpose.

In all honesty for the scenario you describe, I'd say 'neither'. Rabbits are prey animals and feel calm and relaxed when they have a constant, secure territory. They are instinctively scared by noise and children. Young children don't understand that to a rabbit, the act of being picked up and cuddled means it is about to be eaten, so it is very frightening to most rabbits to have lots of children around. Rabbits are also better kept in neutered pairs - not only does neutering calm them down (stops hormonal territorial behaviour) but rabbits are social creatures and it's really much kinder to keep them in pairs.

It's difficult from your short question to determine exactly what might or might not be appropriate but certainly on face value I'd say please don't do it, you're setting yourself up to have a very scared and unhappy rabbit!

havent we seen a few to many rabbits going to be class room pets then they are advertised rehoming as children have lost intrest its a great novety at the first couple of months then when bunny gets older he/she gets forgotten about :cry:

In all honesty for the scenario you describe, I'd say 'neither'. Rabbits are prey animals and feel calm and relaxed when they have a constant, secure territory. They are instinctively scared by noise and children. Young children don't understand that to a rabbit, the act of being picked up and cuddled means it is about to be eaten, so it is very frightening to most rabbits to have lots of children around. Rabbits are also better kept in neutered pairs - not only does neutering calm them down (stops hormonal territorial behaviour) but rabbits are social creatures and it's really much kinder to keep them in pairs.

It's difficult from your short question to determine exactly what might or might not be appropriate but certainly on face value I'd say please don't do it, you're setting yourself up to have a very scared and unhappy rabbit!

I totally agree with this post, dont get a rabbit for a 'classroom pet' Read Jills post in general chat first :) xXx

Think its best not to get any sort of classroom pet....especially a rabbit. Rabbits like to have routine as other said. I know that my classroom doesn't always offer routine!!

I agree with everyone, dont get a bunny as a classroom pet :( If my bunny came to college or work with me sometimes i dont think she would be too happy and it would cause some problems and stress the poor bunny alot!

If you want a pet for a classroom maybe a hamster is what you need although they still need as much attention and care as any other animal! If you have the choice, choose not to get any animal :D

do you know if any of the children have hayfever, Allergies to fur?
Have you asked parents if they consider this ok?
why dont you contact a rescue to come in and do an education day?

May i ask who would be paying the vet bills you or the school?

With the one I had to help out with last week the school picked up the tab for the emergency surgery & castrations. I'm guessing it came out of their funding...:?

Back