• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rex rabbits...

Hey guys... are Rex rabbits good with children? Would they make a good classrooma nd home pet?

Thanks

How old are the children? Standard Rex's are quite big and may be difficult/heavy for a young child to hold. All rabbits can make good pets etc... if they are handled correctly/frequently. Also it helps if they are neutered so you dont get any hormones kicking in and urine spraying all over the classroom!!

In my opinion i dont think rabbits are the best pets for children because if they are not held correctly they can scratch a child quite badly without meaning too and allot of rabbits dont like to be picked up/held. Also rabbits need alot of space to exercise several hours a day. What kind of home will it have at the school/home?

Rabbits generally are not good with switching between environments which is one of my biggest disagreements with them being kept in schools, that and that because they are prey animals with a flight instinct being trapped with a large quantity of noisey (although well meaning children) is very frightening experience for them.

Rexes seem to be prone to many health problems (including sore hocks and heart defects) and as they need an experienced keeper to pick up on these quickly I would say they are not suitable for a class of children.

I had to sort out a huge issue with a schools pair of rabbits last week which had resulted in one rabbit needing extensive surgery and nearly being killed. :cry::cry:

Rexes are lovely, (i have two mini rexes) but they do have health defects and need careful management. No rabbit is good for children in my opinion.

As Lionheadlover says rexes are wonderful, but can suffer more commonly from ailments that other buns do not.
I also agree that bunnies are not generally the best pets for children. I have 13 rabbits, and two kids aged 12 and 5. We've had bunnies for about 4 years. In every instance the rabbit is my pet, I would not have my children responsible for them and generally my lot do not like to be picked up (the rabbits that is!) they are happy to have the kids sit with them and be stroked and fed but I would not allow my children too pick them up etc.
From that point of view as a classroom pet I dont think bunnies would be particualrly suited, whatever the breed. And as others have said if they are to be moved from home to school regularly this could upset or stress them and stress can cause problems with a bunnies delicate digestion system.
Would you not consider another animal?

From that point of view as a classroom pet I dont think bunnies would be particualrly suited, whatever the breed. And as others have said if they are to be moved from home to school regularly this could upset or stress them and stress can cause problems with a bunnies delicate digestion system.

I agree. Additionally, I do not think that any animals should be kept in the classroom. It will not be safe for the animals! It only takes one cruel child. . .:(

Back