• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help!!!! We have a new Cat, will he bond with my bunny?

Maria786

Warren Scout
He is approx 8-9 months, and we have a male bunny already. Anyone with similar situation at home? Will they bond? And how do I go about it?

Plus, how do I look after a cat? :lol:

seriously :?

sorry but why did you get a cat without doing research first :?

im worried what you are going to do if it doesnt work out ?

on the plus side as the kitten is young he will be playfull just introduce slowly you will most likely find the kitten wondering why your bunny wont run orf so he can chase it they have confused looks on there faces
is you bun a nervous type as this may take longer,
look forward to playfullness possible climbing curtains :lol: feed twice a day and use a litter tray, is he neutered or vacinated? if not best bet first is to get him registed at the vet and book him in
:D would like piccies

sorry but why did you get a cat without doing research first :?

im worried what you are going to do if it doesnt work out ?

on the plus side as the kitten is young he will be playfull just introduce slowly you will most likely find the kitten wondering why your bunny wont run orf so he can chase it they have confused looks on there faces
is you bun a nervous type as this may take longer,
look forward to playfullness possible climbing curtains :lol: feed twice a day and use a litter tray, is he neutered or vacinated? if not best bet first is to get him registed at the vet and book him in
:D would like piccies

I have been researching while I have been online now and found this great piece?:

http://www.bsh.eclipse.co.uk/catcare.htm

And the kitten was going to be dumped by the owners, so I think I did him a favour by collecting him from her current environment. :) BTW, he is about 8-9 months old is that an adult age?

I dont know about any of the other stuff, will get him to the vets tomorrow for a full check up like i did with my bunny.

How could someone dump a kitten ... grrrrr.

Anyway we have a female Tortie at 5 months and a male ginger cat at 11 months. If you have never had a cat before get ready for a steep learning curve but a fantastic time too. Cat's are wonderful and kittens are so playful but 9 months is just getting out of the mischevious stage so you are quite lucky.
If he is not used to going outside to the loo get him a litter tray to do his buiness in and put it in a quiet corner. Get him done if he isn't already otherwise he will start to spray ans that smells. Feed him on what he was fed on by his previous owners then if you change do it slowly. It is a bit like having a big bunny, all the same sort of things apply just they are bigger and i guess more playful. Introduce the cat and rabbit slowly so neither get scared and the cat doesn't chase. It will be fine and enjoy the ride. I have grown up with cats and now, like I say, have 2 of my own :love:

pending on breed i think its 12/18 months till fully grown your vet should give you all the advise you need in terms of care, looks a good site for info as well let us know how you get on, your bunny a house bunny ? your kitten maybe a bit to playfull so just only introduce while supervised dont think your bunny would appreciate a playfull body slam :lol: but also if they are not going hammer an tongs just watch them get on with it,ive seen kittens and cats play with bunnies just watch to see if the claws come out, my bigs got battered by two kittens but they never used there claws and big's just took it he didnt mind at all, you may find your kitten will miss the company of his possible sibblings and mother and want to snuggle

Well the "kitten" turned out to be a big cat, a black scary one at that! He didnt like my bunny at all and tried to scare him when i allowed him into the living room by putting the bunny in his cage, but the bunny wasn't phased by the claws and the fur raising that the cat displayed :shock: :lol:

Anyway, I got some food for him from the previous owners and a sleep basket and a few more bits but he prefers my comfy chair in the kitchen! Also the poor thing, he suffers from flatulence......pheww, everywhere he goes smells like the food is decaying in his gut. I dont know if the food is any good he is on.....its morrisons brand turkey and chicken in jelly and salmon I think. I am sure he is on BAD FOOD. And hence he suffers from wind problems.

I really doubt I will be able to keep the cat either, he clawed at my daughter and seems very unfriendly overall. I am quite scared of him actually :(

SP_A0654.jpg

SP_A0667.jpg

New Cat

Last edited:
I'd give him a couple of days to settle down before you decide what to do with him. Some cats are just not very people orienatated, just like some buns aren't.

aww bless him. He will wonder whats happened! I'd let him settle for a few days and get him used to being stroked. obv his other owners didnt pay much attention to him and didnt love him.

He may not like people but may settle down.

Personally im not too keen on cats.. to independant for my liking haha. My sister has always had cats and they have all been ok :)

Is he neutered?

He looks like a beautiful boy :love:

I think a vet check would be a good idea to establish whether he's neutered or not, and if not book him in asap. Also, can you find out if he's up to date with his vaccinations? If he isn't it would be good to get him vaccinated. He'll also need flea treatment and worming.

My three cats always eat Hills Science Diet food, and I think it's important to give a good quality cat food.

As others have said, give him a little time to settle in, it's a big change for him and he may well be anxious and unsure - hence the claws out! Cats, just like bunnies, need some time to learn to trust you, so try not to crowd him for cuddles until he's settled down.

Young cats can be very boisterous when they play, so a bit of scratching just goes with the territory I'm afraid, but he'll grow out of it. Buy him a scratching post to encourage him to scratch that and not the furniture, and also a few toys would be good. When mine were young they loved the stick toys with feathers on the end to chase and jump up at, and they've always enjoyed cat nip toys too.

Also, just like with bunnies, a nice cat bed in a space of his own may help him settle down. And a cardboard box with a hole cut out at the front is usually a fun cat hidey hole.

Good luck and try and be patient with him if he's a bit naughty to start with.:D

you can train a cat to be more tolorant, hes just been upheaved so he will want to asert his dominance, id be a bit grumpy to with all that wind, a good vet check to make sure hes not grumpy for a reason, lets us know what the vet says

mmm cats with flatulence means upset guts...maybe a tummy upset brewing or even worms:shock:

the hting is cats are actually pretty like rabbits in that they have to be socilised at an ealry enuff age to be friendly..then osme as with some buns dont like people!! also some dont like children..i took one in many years ago and my youngest was 6..never even went near the cat but cos its owners son abused it.they said oh hes got astham doc said get rid of cat...hrumph.

this cat only had to heart my daughter and itd rush at her claws out jump pn her and tear her to shreds...it was so awfullllshe had loads of expericnes with cats and ours had recently got killed by a car..but this cat she never ever went near..it got to the point she couldnt come downstairs and had to keep the bedroom door shut!:shock:

i gave her bout a month almost but it got worse..and i had to hand her over to the sancturary who said obviously the boy had severely traumatised her and she owuld have to be homed with no hildren cos of it:(

i had my first housebun with my then trio of cats aged 7,7 and 6...they never went for her shed have killed em first!:shock:

actually she was pretty good mates with my cats thought she was a cat as shed been a baby when we got her.

had another 2 buns over time with last two remaining cats...then got a rescue bun for our grieving bun..he adored our two eldelry cats.

over time i ended up woth that bun dying and leaving the rescue bun..i then adopted a frenchie and bonded them and took on two black rats..sorry kittens..who have gwon up with the buns and adore them..buit salems claws have to be trimmed regulalry as he still purrs and dough treads on the bunnies fur:oops: but they sleep togehter etc drink togehter eat togehter..well grens anyway:oops:

but 8 to 9 months old is a big kitty.....let this cat settle as best you can and dont let it out etc..use an indoor tray.......dont let it have acees to bunny whilst you arent there..just in case.

good luck

Ok an update, thanks for the replies so far, I enjoyed reading them!

The flatulence was caused by nervousness I think, because today he doesnt smell at all. He has been very affectionate actually and my husband even supervised the bunny and the cat's first encounter......I dont have the courage to do that, I was so scared and nearly started crying because my husband wouldnt listen. I told him to leave it for today, but surprisingly the two got on very well............the bunny wasnt really bothered and sniffed the cat, but the cat wanted to play and rolled over onto its back but the bunny wouldnt play with him.

Overall it went well, and no one got hurt. We were all on edge, and just watched the two like hawkes to see what would happen.

I think the cat would have liked to play with him a bit more but the bunny just bounced around doing his own thing. LOL it was great.....thanks to my hubby and his support throughout the whole thing.

The cat's pee and poo do smell a bit so I might move his litter tray to the bathroom instead of the kitchen where it is now for hygiene reasons. We all eat in there and I dont feel very good after the cat goes in to do its business...........but wow! the cat is perfect. He uses the litter tray perfectly, I am indeed lucky to have a cat this gorgeous and so well behaved.

He even comes running when we call his name :shock::lol:

I want to love him forever now.

Also, I have asked the previous owners and the cat is neither neutured nor vaccinated. I dont know how much all of this will cost?

P.S >> Because of the flatulence that we witnessed yesterday I hurried to town and bought him a complete dry food for indoor cats, which promotes less smelly poo and less hairballs.

Its a learning curb for me as its my first cat. I dont know if dry food is best or shall i keep using the food he is used to which i mentioned earlier on in this thread?

x

Last edited:
Where do you get the food you mentioned from? I dont recall seeing it the supermarket today.

Hills is available in pet shops. It's a dried food, absolutely brilliant with windy moggies! :wave:

My cat was 5½ weeks when he met the buns, so he acts more like a rabbit than a kitten, so I can't help you much with that I'm afraid.

Hope your cat settles down soon. Worming is a definite priority, plus vaccinations and neutering, which (like our buns) goes a long way to calming down aggressive behaviours. ;)

Hills is available in pet shops. It's a dried food, absolutely brilliant with windy moggies! :wave:

My cat was 5½ weeks when he met the buns, so he acts more like a rabbit than a kitten, so I can't help you much with that I'm afraid.

Hope your cat settles down soon. Worming is a definite priority, plus vaccinations and neutering, which (like our buns) goes a long way to calming down aggressive behaviours. ;)

Thanks, and I will go to pets at home tomorrow to check it out.....and I will ask about all the things you mentioned at the vets, as he is booked in for Monday, so see how that goes.

:love: :wave:

I would keep him on dried food. Wet food can cause dental problems resulting in the cat needing dental care which is a lot of ££!!
As said by other posters, worming is essential as soon as possible, then repeat every 3 months. Fleaing will need doing aswell, and repeated every month.

Your cat will be old enough to be neutered now so I would do that too. Should mean hes less moody too. Between £20 and £40 is the average price.
Vaccinations are about £30-£40 and need boosters each year.

I always used to buy Hills Science Diet from my vets, but these days usually get it online from pet supermarket, they often have quite cheap offers on it: http://www.pet-supermarket.co.uk/erol.html#3748X0

They also do a hairball control version.

It's best to change food gradually, so if you can mix in a little of the old food with the new stuff, and change onto the new food over a period of a few days.

My cats cost £30 each for their annual vaccinations (I think that's right - I pay £125 ish for 3 cats and 1 dog). Neutering is around £40 and essential to stop male cats spraying (which smells A LOT) and potentially running off after female cats, yowling like crazy when they come into contact with females, being more prone to fighting and of course adding to the unwanted kittens problem!

My cats are learning to get along with my new rabbit, Daisy, although I never leave them unsupervised. Daisy desperately wants to play, but my cats are having none of it. So I think the main thing is just keeping a very close eye on how yours interact and not taking any chances.

I'm very glad your cat is settling in! I'm sure he'll make a great addition to the family :D

Glad the cat seems to have settled down.
A few things to mention, if you are planning to have him as an outdoor cat, don't let him out until he is neutered, he is more likely wander and get into fights. Another advantage to neutering, if he goes out, is it will reduce the risk of him contracting FIV.
Vet prices vary, but we are about £50 for the first lot of vaccines- 2 needles 3 weeks apart , the yearly boosters are a bit cheaper, £40 ish, and it is about £40 for a cat castrate. He should be wormed for both roundworm and tapeworm, especially if he has been outdoors.

There seems to be a bit of debate as to whether wet or dry food is best, some say dry is better for their teeth, but, especially, for a neutered male wet food is better. This is because they are very prone to cystitis, especially overweight ones. We tend to give a mixture of the 2, dry for breakfast and wet at bedtime.

We have 9 cats and they are great, they can be very independant, but can also be very expressive in their love of attention.

Last edited:
Back