• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

My Guinea pig is pregnant and only 3 months old/ UD THEY ARE HERE!!

Bunny_mad

Alpha Buck
If this is in the wrong place can a MOD move it please?

I have 2 female guinea pigs and I noticed one drinking alot more than the other and gettign a little tubby, so today my OH took them to the vets and she is pregnant. She has been since beofre Xmas and only has between 2 - 4 weeks to go. She was pregnant when I got her and there was no way of telling.

I just need some advice for the mother and babies and to be prepared. I have spoken to the place I get tehm from and if need's be they will take the babies but I want to try to keep them, I am just hoping they or it will be female.

I am part excited, worried and annoyed that I was sold a pregnant Guinea pig. i should have got one from a rescue but it's a long story.

Any advice is greatly welcomed, I want to give them the best start in life and keep the mother comfy. She has another female piggy she lives with and they live indoors.

Last edited:
Sorry not sure how to help on this one. Hope it all goes well. There is a guinea pig forum through 'guinea pig rehome' - they may have some advice to help.

Loads of hay needs to be provided so she can build a nest. Cover the area so she can be quiet and warm. Is she outside? Is she with company?

The best thing you can do is feed her a good balanced diet (but nothing too fattening) and give her a nice dark nest area.

The biggest concern with pregnant guineas is pregnancy toxemia, this usually occurs in the last 7 to 10 days of pregnancy if they are going to experience it. The signs are: decreased appetite, depression, lethargy, ruffled appearance and the can salivate or experience muscle spasms. Most research shows a link between this condition and obesity, as guinea often over eat and gain weight easier during pregnancy, this is why I advice avoiding fatty foods.

That would be my biggest concern really. You can often feel the babies kicking and they are usually increasingly active before birth and you can feel them move back in to the birth canal. It's quite fascinating.

If she's already pregnant there's little to do to make things much easier..
Diet as mentioned is extra important now, and she should get extra vitamin C.
I'm pretty sure she can stay with her female friend, guinea pigs often help each other with the kits (especially if they both have kids, but I've known childless guinea pigs to babysit as well:D)

Thanks everyone for your help. I really feel for her being so young. I am popping into where we got her from to get supplies for free as it was there mistake so I will get some warm stuff and food for her.

Is there any veggies that are better for her and as Zakurarabbit said is Vit C drops in the water a bonus.

I though Piggies didn't nest until just before or after the birth but I may be wrong.

They are indoor piggies, may go out in summer but I'm too much of a softy so I think they will be indoor pigs especially if they have babies.

They won't actively build a nest like a rabbit, but it reduces stress levels if they have somewhere warm and dark. So I'd advice it. They do move around a lot giving birth (they're surprisingly energetic) so make sure they have enough space. The other piggy will help her with the young even if not expecting herself. Are you certain that the other one is not pregnant too? Unfortunately when one starts giving birth it can trigger the other to start and if she is not so far along there's a high chance she'll lose the young. I'd get the other checked if you can and havn't already.

So far as drops in water goes, it won't hurt but they generally don't work that well, as vit c breaks down with contact to light and air and water, so it's not the best way of administering it. A good guinea pig pellet diet that's stored correctly, plus vegetable should be enough. You can give them a little piece of orange with the peel occasionally.

The pregnancy toxemia is the biggest worry with any pregnant sow, another sign is their breath will smell like nail vanish remover. Unfortunately few pigs recover from this condition unless it is caught very early and you have a very good vet. They usually start treatment with syringing a high glucose solution, that's something worth remembering. Sorry to focus on the problems but I think its best you know the most you can on the problems, as well as basic care! x

I breed guinea pigs. Give her her normal food with plenty of veg, hay etc. She should be ok in with the other sow but be prepared to separate them if necessary. Lots of hay and love and she should be fine. :D I love baby piggies.

hope all goes well if you need any advice you can pm me:wave: but your piggie should be fine she is abit yougn though but im sure all will go well!:wave:

I gave my girls extra calcium in the form of parsley and kale and just made sure that they were well fed, warm and clean :)
Piglets are sooo cute - really hope you get girls so that you can keep them, but if you do get a boar, you could have him neutered at 5-6 months and put him back with his family... I did this :)

They won't actively build a nest like a rabbit, but it reduces stress levels if they have somewhere warm and dark. So I'd advice it. They do move around a lot giving birth (they're surprisingly energetic) so make sure they have enough space. The other piggy will help her with the young even if not expecting herself. Are you certain that the other one is not pregnant too? Unfortunately when one starts giving birth it can trigger the other to start and if she is not so far along there's a high chance she'll lose the young. I'd get the other checked if you can and havn't already.

So far as drops in water goes, it won't hurt but they generally don't work that well, as vit c breaks down with contact to light and air and water, so it's not the best way of administering it. A good guinea pig pellet diet that's stored correctly, plus vegetable should be enough. You can give them a little piece of orange with the peel occasionally.

The pregnancy toxemia is the biggest worry with any pregnant sow, another sign is their breath will smell like nail vanish remover. Unfortunately few pigs recover from this condition unless it is caught very early and you have a very good vet. They usually start treatment with syringing a high glucose solution, that's something worth remembering. Sorry to focus on the problems but I think its best you know the most you can on the problems, as well as basic care! x
Thanks again everyone!! The other sow is not expecting, I got them both checked over today and she is fine and is deff a female. At the moment they are in the living room but I amy move them upstairs so its calmer for them.

They have a pellet, veg and hay diet anyway so I will continue with that. I got a massive bag (14kg) and 8kg of hay given to me today by the shop and can have more hay if needed!! I am very excited I am sure they will be cute but them being safe is so important.

I gave my girls extra calcium in the form of parsley and kale and just made sure that they were well fed, warm and clean :)
Piglets are sooo cute - really hope you get girls so that you can keep them, but if you do get a boar, you could have him neutered at 5-6 months and put him back with his family... I did this :)

Will he spray. Sorry if that is a dumb question, I have only ever had female piggies. Also I am not sure any of my vets do this, I have never seen it advertised butif it happens I may look into it. If I don't keep them the shop offered to take them back but I would forever worry what happened to them.

Will he spray. Sorry if that is a dumb question, I have only ever had female piggies. Also I am not sure any of my vets do this, I have never seen it advertised butif it happens I may look into it. If I don't keep them the shop offered to take them back but I would forever worry what happened to them.

I've got room for another piggy, if you're ever looking for any perspective homes ;). I've got a boar who I'm looking to get castrated soon, it's not uncommon to do this and spraying isn't a problem. You would need to find a vet who is very competent in this area and not all vets advertise it, but that doesn't mean they won't do it and do it well! Just make sure you're asking your vet lots of questions and check that they have experience. x

Not long

Well I don't think it will be long now! She is quite big and has been quite for the past couple of day's. My OH called to say she seems a little restless today so I think they could be on there way. In the midst of all the chaos surrunding out lives a little miracle is about to happen. Makes me really take a look at the situation and realise how much I rely upon the love of my pets to pull me through. I am still effectively homeless from 27th so keep your fingers crossed that I find somewhere!!

I will post piccis when they arrive!!

They are here! baby piggers!!

Well I got home yesterday and the baby Piggers were there, 2 of them. I am so proud od Star she is doing so well and the little ones are so cute and perfectly formed. I of course have not touched them and will not do so for about a week. I am hoping they are females as I want to keep them but if they are amles I will look into castration. My interent is down at home but as soon as it is back I will post pic's

Back