• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Tough day tomorrow...*graphic* post-op pictures added.

Sooz

Wise Old Thumper
Mack is going in to have major surgical work on his jaw, likely removal of at least one molar and will be left with a large open wound on the underneath of his jaw which will need deep flushing with a special piece of equiptment several times a day. He is going to have two vets operating on him together and if this dosn't work the next steps would be far more drastic and I'm not sure it's something I am willing to consider for him. :?

I also have my little wildie Juno in for her spey, and whilst it is not so much the procedure I am concerned about, she is very distrustful of people in general and the whole thing is going to be incredibly traumatic for her....she still hasn't got over her check-up a week ago totally.

Please can you spare a thought or some vibes for both of them tomorrow, I am going to be tearing my hair out waiting for news. :(

Last edited:
Lots of vibes for Mack and Juno tomorrow!!! And vibes for you too - sounds like a very stressful situation to cope with. Hope both bunnies will make swift recoveries.

Thanks guys. I'm not sure what to do about getting them there now, there have been no busses today and they have to be at the vets at 8:30am tomorrow morning, I have to be at work for 10.

I'm wondering if I should walk them up this evening and let them stay over night rather than risk not making it tomorrow....but then Juno will have to spend even longer in a strange and frightening environment and might not eat. :?:?:?

Sending lots and lots of vibes! I hope all goes well, you must be so worried!

I hope you get the transport sorted...maybe the buses will be running smoother tomorrow? Or your work might be nice and let you come in later? As they are both going to the vet, that should help keep them calm and less stressed and if you leave them in the night before you could bring lots of familiar things with you like toys and blankets. I haven't left my buns overnight at the vets before so am not much help! But I'm sure they will both be fine.

x

Sending lots and lots of vibes! I hope all goes well, you must be so worried!

I hope you get the transport sorted...maybe the buses will be running smoother tomorrow? Or your work might be nice and let you come in later? As they are both going to the vet, that should help keep them calm and less stressed and if you leave them in the night before you could bring lots of familiar things with you like toys and blankets. I haven't left my buns overnight at the vets before so am not much help! But I'm sure they will both be fine.

x

Juno & Mack are not a bonded pair so will both be in seperate kennels. Mack has spent the night at the vets pre-op before and been fine, it's Juno I worry for.

Thanks for all your kind thoughts x

Hi

Sorry for late update, it's been a very long day.

Juno is doing really well, she is hopping about, pooing and drinking but not eaten yet that I have seen. I wil syringe feed her before bed if she isn't eating voluntarily by then as I instructed the VNs not to attempt to force feed her at the vets. Her spey scar is absolutely a beautiful piece of work....I will endevour to get a picture later because it is so tiny & tidy...no wonder she is doing so well.

Mack had to have a lot of infected tissue, impacted food and necrotic bone removed from the front of his jaw but it turns out the secondary abcess had not attached to a molar....which is good news but the vets just cannot find how they tracked back through the mandible (he had two new abcesses, walled off from each other but communicating). The furthest one was very deep, well into the tissue and he would have been able to feel it inside his mouth....infact left much longer that is where it would have errupted.

They are pretty confident that the infected tissue was removed and the mandible itself well debrided. That's not to say it wont recur though, sadly...but we need the C&S results to tell us more on that score.

The underside of his jaw is largely open with a very deep entry point which needs flushing with a catheter-type implement 3 times daily....it looks pretty awful, Phil was gagging when I showed him. I may get some pictures for you guys later from an educational point of view.

Back