• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What is the best bun for the family

What breed of rabbit makes the best home pet? Is there a breed that tends to get along better with people and children?

Any advice would be great...

What breed of rabbit makes the best home pet? Is there a breed that tends to get along better with people and children?

Any advice would be great...

Any breed :lol:

I have a few different breeds here and they all have their individual personalities which have nothing to do with their breed. Just depends on the bun.

The only thing I would say is that my Netherland Dwarf, although small, has the biggest attitude! :love:

I think with children around, a medium sized is better. (According to my books) small are less cuddley, but if a child tried to lift a large rabbit they could either hurt the rabbit or themselves.

Giant buns are less active (i've heard) and are more snuggly.
Why not pop to your local rescue?
They will tell you which bun will suit your family needs :D

I have 4 totally different bunny breeds :? Theyre all loving :love: I think it depends on the individual rabbit, not the breed :)

I wouldnt reccommend a giant, i have a french lop who someone bought for their 2 year old child :roll: They soon realised she was too big for a child so wanted rid of her :( xXx

:wave: I suppose it depends on what you define as the best home pet. Are you looking for a houserabbit to share your home with, or outdoor bunnies?

In general I tend to agree that it's less about the breed and more about the individual buns personality - which is why rescues are so good, as they will know the personalities of the buns in their care - baby buns from breeders tend to change as soon as they hit puberty so it can be a bit harder to tell how they're going to turn out! One of the main factors in how well buns get along with people is that they have been neutered - sadly many buns are taken to rescue for being aggressive/unfriendly and it can often be easily solved with neutering.

For a houserabbit that is going to share your home, I would actually suggest a larger bunny like a french lop, as children should not really pick rabbits up as they can frighten and hurt them - and they actually can't pick a bigger bunny up even if they want to! I think in the previous case here it was more a wrong expectation of rabbits on the 2 year old parent's part! Plus of course it's harder for a bigger bunny to get under your feet and trodden on...easier for someone in the household to squish a smaller bun :(

If you are wanting outdoor pets, I think it matters less, as long as they have plenty of space to enjoy. Personally I would suggest getting a pair of rabbits if they are to live outdoors - rabbits are social animals and with the best will in the world, someone is only going to be able to spend maybe 1hr a day with an outdoor bunny, leaving them on their own for 23+ hours a day. At least an indoor bun can have interaction as the household goes about its normal business. If your buns are to be outdoors then you could get a lively, curious pair that will give you lots of pleasure to watch being bunnies :)

Last edited:
dutchies ive read are ment to be good with kids, i have 4 with total differant personalities, floppy, lazy, cautious, and rip ya hand orf
all the lops ive met are soppy, nethies have attitude some of the time, it all depends on getting the bun neutered and the time and space you give them, and how the child acts with them, if you have a patient child whos happy to sit on the floor until the bun gets confident and the child understand that most buns do not like being picked up they like fuss on floor level, you should be fine, an over excited child will make a bun nervy and will take longer for a bun to adjust, also once a child gets nervous if a buns nipped them and some buns do nip 3 of mine do spesh at feeding time, doesnt hurt but makes a child aware so sudden jerky movements make a bun worried too confidence is important too

i really think it's all on the personality of a bun, if you go to a rescue centre they'll be able to advise you which bun has the best personality your looking for. are you looking for something cuddly or something inquistive but also likes a cuddle? my lionhead is real cheeky and funny but is the most rewarding rabbit when she flops beside you for a pet but then can turn round and nip and run off:lol:, but petal my lop is quiet and likes cuddles and kisses but is also quite content to sit on her own. they are all very different. they do say REW (red eye whites) are very friendly and can vouch for that. good luck :wave:

Back