• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Newbie bun mom with ?s...

Hi everyone. New mom of Sweetie, dwarf netherland rabbit. I don't know how old he is but he's not the "sweetest" of bunnies.

How do I get him to be more lovable, if that's possible?

He's been shaking his head like he's hearing voices and just jumps from side to side like he's avioding and oncoming truck... Is there something wrong with him?

How much litter do I put in his cage? How often do I change out the litter?

How do I clip his claws?

My girlfriend wants me to let Sweetie mate with her rabbit but should I get him "fixed" instead?

He needs to get used to you first. Just show him that you are not a threat.

He could have an ear infection so best get him checked by the vet asap.

If you get your rabbit neutered it is easier to litter train them. I change the litter trays everyday and do a complete clean out once a week. If he is an outside rabbit you should put a layer of litter down and then lots of hay to keep him warm.

Definitely get him neutered unless you want to end up with loads of babies you cannot rehome.

You might want to get the vet to show you how to clip his claws as you have to be careful not to cut the quick.

haha when your saying he's jumping and shaking his head it sounds like he's "binkying" Buns do this when they are happy/excited :) My bunny tosses his head then jumps right into the air. Is that what he's doing?

It could be an ear infection but he wouldnt jump about i wouldn't have thought if he had an ear infection. Although im not an expert :)

Hi everyone. New mom of Sweetie, dwarf netherland rabbit. I don't know how old he is but he's not the "sweetest" of bunnies.

How do I get him to be more lovable, if that's possible?

He's been shaking his head like he's hearing voices and just jumps from side to side like he's avioding and oncoming truck... Is there something wrong with him?

How much litter do I put in his cage? How often do I change out the litter?

How do I clip his claws?

My girlfriend wants me to let Sweetie mate with her rabbit but should I get him "fixed" instead?

Hi :wave: Welcome to the forum.

Firstly, I wouldn't let him mate with your girlfriend's Rabbit. There are so many bunnies out there needing homes and, if your bunnies had babies, you would have to make sure you found them all good homes (some bunnies can have a lot of babies!!!). I would get him neutered and then maybe find him a friend as bunnies love to have company of their own kind.

What sort of set up do you have? Indoor? Outdoor? I change my bunnies litter trays every other day, every day in the summer. I just use Newspaper and Hya but you can use products such as Megazorb or Amboise. Do not use wood shavings.

With his head shaking, it sounds to me like he could have ear mites. Would be best to get him checked by a vet.

Back