• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

to neuter or not?

We are thinking of getting our 3 year old bunny a companion, and are unsure whether we ought to get him neutered first. He came to us as a rescue bun originally, and as he has always been a happy, healthy chap, with no behavioural problems we decided not to neuter him unless it was really necessary. I don't know whether he will take to another bun, as he seems content enough on his own, but I just wonder if he would be even happier with a pal. Is this just me being an interfering human who should leave well alone, or should I give it a go? Also what are the risks with the operation? He is very loved and the last thing I want to do is cause him pain, distress etc, and the thought of losing him is unbearable. Help! Advice please. I know rabbits are very social animals but I also know someone whose rabbit wouldn't tolerate any others. I really don't know what to do for the best for him.:?

yes mine was 5 when i got him neutered, other than the spraying his endearment over me hes so laid back hes horizontal and didnt change after either:D if you wish to get him a partner and from a rescue (which is best) they will most likely ask you to neuter your bun first
there are the same risks with any operation really with any age the same with us, and some reascues will offer to do the bonding too

I would pretty much lay money on the fact that your friend's bunny that won't tolerate others is either an unneutered female, and/or not being introduced on neutral territory. There are certain 'rules' you need to follow when introducing bunnies...much more often than not they will bond, a neutered male/female pairing is usually easiest :)

I would definitely suggest getting your little lad neutered and getting him a friend :D You wouldn't be able to bond him with another bunny unless he is neutered - unneutered boys will fight and seriously hurt each other, and with a female there is the obvious problem of pregnancy if she is not spayed. Even if a female is spayed, his hormones will more than likely make him want to hump her constantly, and she will therefore get very irritated with him and they will fight. Bunnies are social animals and research has been done that shows that bonded pair spend most of their time together, so they obviously like the company :D

As with all operations there are small risks, but with a good vet the risk isn't really any greater than for cats or dogs now :) It is a very short straightforward op for a boy, he should be home the same day or the morning after and back to his old self very quickly.

I would suggest getting him neutered and getting in contact with a rescue near you to see if you can take him along for a 'date'. Some rescues will do or start the bonding for you at the rescue, so you can be confident that the pairing is a good one and likely to work :) Rescues are so used to doing it that they can generally tell whether a particular pairing looks like it will be successful...and of course there are other bunnies to try if the first one you choose doesn't work. Chances are it will work though :D

Many thanks for your replies. They sound very encouraging. I def would like to try to find a rescue to see if there is a suitable friend for him. If they are willing to try to bond them that would be absolutely fantastic too. Will make enquiries at the vets to see about when it's best to get him 'done' (poor chap!):roll:. Not sure if there's any particular time of year they advise. But they are very good, and know him well. as he came from them to me originally. Fingers crossed he will soon be a young man looking for love.:lol:

Back