• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Newbie bunny mom

Hi everyone! I'm a new dwarf netherland bunny mom. I bought Sweetie for my first grade classroom by my daughters want him as a home pet... since dad won't let us get dogs or cats. :(

I'm not sure how old he is but he doesn't seem to like us. Do you need to "handle" him EVERYDAY? How do I cut his claws? He also bites and I'm afraid he'll draw blood on my youngest. I want his to be sweet, as his name suggests, but he's turning out to be quite the little booger... :(

Any advice would be of great help...

Hiya :wave: Welcome to the forum :)

When you say you dont know how old Sweetie is, i guess you mean hes an older bunny?? If so, he'll probably needs neutering :) It'd calm him down alot. Once a male bunny gets to around 20 weeks, they usually have all their bits and its best to get them castrated :) It'll also make litter training easier :)

You could take him to the vets, so the vet can check him over, and the vet will show you how to cut his claws properly, so you are able to do it at home.

It sounds as though hes very scared... the best way to make friends with him is to get down to his level. Bunnies dont generally like being 'picked up' as such, you'll find they will be much friendlier if you interact at their level, when all their feet on are the ground :lol: Offer him treats, and let him come to you, dont try and grab him as such. He'll soon learn to trust you :) xXx

Welcome to the forum :wave: The little lad sounds very scared :( Try not picking him up at the moment, be patient with him and he'll be much happier, stroke him gently and be quiet around him. My two house bunnies don't get picked up unless they need their nails cut etc
and they are very happy and so are we :D

Try giving him his favorite treat and pet him at the same time...that way he will associate petting as a good thing!
If you are uncomfortable cutting his nails you can have the vet or groomer cut them. Thats what I do :)

Welcome :wave:

Last edited:
My bunny was scared when i got him..very scared! but all i did was set him down and sit with him where he liked to sit. when he hopped over i let him sniff me and ik offered him treats and gave him gentle strokes. Now he wont leave me alone and follws me around lol! :)

It just takes time and trust. I agree with getting him neutered, that would help too :) Where did you get him from?

:wave: Welcome to RU. Your bunny needs time to get to know you and you need to earn there trust. You will be fine and have a great loving relationship. It would be lovely to see some photos of your bunny. x

I have recently adopted a bunny and she was a very scaredy lady. She doesnt mind being picked up out of her cage but putting her back can be a trial (she lives outside but doesnt have much space at the mo so comes in at night for a hop!) As everyone here has said getting down to their level does help. I find if i get some treats and get onto the floor she comes hoping over, i stroke her and she gets a treat! She has taken to coming over and giving me "kisses" she puts her nose up to mine then has a treat. She's very cute! Just perservere with your little guy, all animals are different and you have to get to know them just as much as they have to get to know you! Good luck!!

Back