• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Effect of snow on hutches?

abbymarysmokey

Wise Old Thumper
I'm terrified that the weight of the snow is going to cause my outdoor hutch roofs to collapse, or even the tops of the runs where they're covered up :(

Anybody having similar worries?

Hadnt thought about it :shock: I did brush all the snow off the tops of the hutches this morning, there was about 4" :( Theres about 1" on the tops of them now. I was more worried about the snow actually getting in the hutches because of the angle its coming down :(

Wish i could bring em all in

I've scooped some off mainly to let some light through into the runs, but on the whole I've left it alone - if few inches of snow will break a roof then an adult fox jumping on it would more than likely have the same effect :?

Snow is actually a very good insulator so if you're confident in the weight on it I'd leave it there and it could well help to keep the inside warmer :)

I've scooped some off mainly to let some light through into the runs, but on the whole I've left it alone - if few inches of snow will break a roof then an adult fox jumping on it would more than likely have the same effect :?

Snow is actually a very good insulator so if you're confident in the weight on it I'd leave it there and it could well help to keep the inside warmer :)

I never knew that! :oops: I spent ages this morning brushing it off all the cages :(:lol: Shall leave it to build up now :D xXx

ive left mine as it is its about 5 inches thick, and the entire hutch is insulated with bubble wrap and plastic around 3 sides with a flap to cover the front so im not worried about the snow soaking the wood
though to be honest i dont think its been as cold as it was last month its not bitter

Left all the snow on mine as i thought it would help keep them warm. The weight is evenly distributed so wouldn't think it was a problem :)

Back