• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

super recovery diet

shashiefee

New Kit
Hello

My rabbit Millie is unwell (see previous thread) and the vet gave me this super recovery sachet, which I mix with 70mls of warm water. Problem is, it forms a thick paste which is impossible to get into a syringe. The syringe keeps blocking, leaving the sludge behind.

I've tried diluting it with more water and eventually managed to get it into a syringe - but it needed 200mls of water to achieve this. Obviously this is much more water that is recommended.

Does anyone have any suggestions on anything that could be used to draw up the mixture? All the syringes have the same size of nozzle and spoon feeding it leads to such a mess and hardly any goes in her mouth. I need something like a syringe but with a wider nozzle.

Cheers

Sharon

One suggestion is to let your rabbit eat it from a bowl, some will if they have the energy. If they are unable to, syringe feed it as best as you can. If they end up with lots of water it does not matter as they will be well hydrated and that is really important.

Some people manage to cut off the bottom of the syringe which makes it easier to draw up the solution.

super recovery

Thanks for reply (please see my 2nd post also about her bowel obstruction). Ive tried cutting end off the syringe but still need lots of water. She wont take it from bowl and ends up standing in it or tipping it over!!

Yeah

I put a bowl of the recovery sludge into her cage and she is now lapping it out as well as pooing after 12 days of nothing. Yeah! Thanks for advice. She has such a mucky face now...its hilarious.

Dr Shash:D

I am feeding Daisy a sachet of this a day. You can purchase it cheaper over the internet. She will eat it off a spoon so thankfully I don't have to syringe. Glad Millie is eating from the bowl. Is she eating pellets?

I am feeding Daisy a sachet of this a day. You can purchase it cheaper over the internet. She will eat it off a spoon so thankfully I don't have to syringe. Glad Millie is eating from the bowl. Is she eating pellets?

I was going to suggest spoon feeding, as thats the only way I've ever managed to use it effectively. But it's great that shes lapping it up now! x

Millie

Spoon feeding was a nightmare. Went all over the place! Just had her out there and she was running around like a dervish! I think she has been eating her cecotrophs as she keeps picking at her bum!

Sharon

Back