• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bowel Obstruction - please help

shashiefee

New Kit
Hello

My name is Sharon and I have a 3yr old white lop house bunny called Millie. She is not very well and has been attending the vet daily for the past 10days.

She has not passed any bowel motions now for 10days:(. The vet did an xray 4days ago and it showed a bowel obstruction - lots of gas everywhere. For some reason her gut has stopped moving and we dont know how to restart it.

Until yesterday, she had not eaten for 10days and I had been syringe feeding her lactulose (to loosen bowel motions), pineapple juice (recommended to break up any obstuction), infacol (yes what babies have for colic) and rehydration solution. She takes it wonderfully, sucking on the syringe and not wanting to let go. The vet has been administrating subcut fluids, antibiotics, metoclopramide to stimulate bowel and a painkiller.

2days ago I thought she was on her way out as she was lethargic and I could see waves of peristalsis in her stomach, like the bowel was trying to push past the obstuction. Her tummy was distended and gurgly.

However yesterday, s:D she was back to her usual self - except pooing!! She ate for the first time in 10days - carrot, broccoli, hay and some burgess dried food. She was out for hours, jumping on and off the sofa. I had her at the vet today and he said we will just continue with what we are doing.

Does anyone have any suggestions how to get Millie pooing? I love Millie so much. The vet said an operation would be very risky as the bowel is so fragile. He doesn't know why this has happened. When he sedated her for the xray he said her teeth had spurs so maybe that put her off her food and then gut stopped working. I know rabbit guts are very sensitive and should always be moving. I worry if she doesn't start pooing soon, she'll deteriorate and die.

Advice would be appreciated on how to resolve obstruction and get bowel moving.

Thanks Sharon

Poor Bunny :cry:

Has you Vet considered administering an enema ? I dont think she can have fully obstruced as if she had she would not still be with you. Also, the Metoclopromide may well have caused her intestines to rupture.
Perhaps your Vet said that her bowel was impacted rather than obstructed ?
In which case an enema may be worth a try.

Have any more Xrays been done to assess any changes from the initial Xrays?

This link may be helpful

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/ileus.html

bowel obstruction

Thankx for reply. I haven't asked about enema but he said intenstines are so fragile, I guess it may be too much. Her xray was on friday and he's worried if xray again, it could set things back. She was so bad on saturday and he said sedating can also promote stasis of the gut. I guess her intestines are stil intact or she would be in shock and not be here. It's just awful. 10days with no poos and I am poo obsessed now. She is so bright today though - its a puzzle. She also has only lost 0.5kg weighing at 2.45kg.

Thankx for reply. I haven't asked about enema but he said intenstines are so fragile, I guess it may be too much. Her xray was on friday and he's worried if xray again, it could set things back. She was so bad on saturday and he said sedating can also promote stasis of the gut. I guess her intestines are stil intact or she would be in shock and not be here. It's just awful. 10days with no poos and I am poo obsessed now. She is so bright today though - its a puzzle. She also has only lost 0.5kg weighing at 2.45kg.

Could the Vet do an Xray without sedation ?

I would re xray. If this bun had been obstructed for 10 days she would probably be dead now. It could be that the gas seen may be secondary to the gut stasis this rabbit has. If she really is obsteucted and the xray looks the same, i would consider taking this to surgery in spite of the risks. If she isnt obstructed than she wont poo until you give her something to eat! Have bloods been done to check she isnt going ketotic or getting a fatty liver due to the prolongued anorexia. also an ultrasound scan of the abdomen wouldnt hurt and can be done concious
goodluck

Millie

Mmmm thanx for advice but ur a bit blunt + insensitive, albeit well meaning. I'm glad she is not "dead yet" and I have been trying to feed her - with tempting burgess food, carrots, broccoli, hay etc but she was ignoring it all. Hence the oral rehydration solutions and syringe feeding. Gut stasis seems self perpetuating - stasis leads to anorexia and anorexia makes stasis worse. However, finally today after 12 days of no poos and only 1 day of eating, she has POOed! I am never been so happy. Lots of little droppings! Yipee.

Dr Shash

Mmmm thanx for advice but ur a bit blunt + insensitive, albeit well meaning. I'm glad she is not "dead yet" and I have been trying to feed her - with tempting burgess food, carrots, broccoli, hay etc but she was ignoring it all. Hence the oral rehydration solutions and syringe feeding. Gut stasis seems self perpetuating - stasis leads to anorexia and anorexia makes stasis worse. However, finally today after 12 days of no poos and only 1 day of eating, she has POOed! I am never been so happy. Lots of little droppings! Yipee.

Dr Shash

That's great news :)

I can assure you Rodneyvet isnt insensitive :)
Sometimes its hard to communicate things aswell online, even with the use of emoticons !! He was just trying to offer you his very well qualified advice as to how to help your Bun :)

I am sure he too will be delighted to read that your Bun is improving all the time :D

Good News

No need to be cheeky :oops:It seemed to default to pink but have changed it so hopefully you can read it now.

I am so pleased Millie has poo'ed. 12 days it had been with no poos and not eating at all. ALl the books say that buns die really quickly if gut in stasis but the vet said all the inteinsive nursing I gave her at home has saved her . It gives me and other hope.

I couldn't believe it last night when I saw 3 little poos. Not ceecotrophs but little soft nuggets. It's a miracle. 12 days. This am the cage is scattered with poos. I also read on here how they like sprouts so I bought some yest and she adores them. Ate 2 last night and 2 today. Going to have to restrict them as I don't want diarrhoea now!! Thanks to the forum for suggesting sprouts. I never thought of them. Millie loves broccoli and carrots too.

I also put a dish of the super recovery diet mix in her cage like someone recommended and she has been eating that too! She even likes the sludge but her wee face is so mucky lol. She has been munching hay as well as her burgess food.

She's back at the vet tomorrow. Our vet doesn't have ultrasound or any fancy stuff and said he wouldn't be happy operating as he doesn't have the skill. Its a small town vet who has a solo practice but he is great and so kind.

Can anyone advice on what to do about current syringe feeding I am giving her? She was getting 60mls of rehydration soln syringe fed a day but as she is eating and drinking now I have stopped this. I am continuing the infacol as her tummy is still very noisy and rumbling. She was getting 1ml of lactulose a day but I've cut it back to 0.5mls as she is pooing. Is this ok?

Tnanks so much folk for your help. I am glad I joined and met fellow bunny lovers. All my mates think I am nuts

Dr Shash

That's our Jason (Happy Hopping)! You'll get used to him;) (Only joking Jason)

Glad you've found us! Good to have another bunny lover on board.
Well done on nursing your little bun through all of this. Can we see piccies now please?!

No need to be cheeky :oops:It seemed to default to pink but have changed it so hopefully you can read it now.

I am so pleased Millie has poo'ed. 12 days it had been with no poos and not eating at all. ALl the books say that buns die really quickly if gut in stasis but the vet said all the inteinsive nursing I gave her at home has saved her . It gives me and other hope.

I couldn't believe it last night when I saw 3 little poos. Not ceecotrophs but little soft nuggets. It's a miracle. 12 days. This am the cage is scattered with poos. I also read on here how they like sprouts so I bought some yest and she adores them. Ate 2 last night and 2 today. Going to have to restrict them as I don't want diarrhoea now!! Thanks to the forum for suggesting sprouts. I never thought of them. Millie loves broccoli and carrots too.

I also put a dish of the super recovery diet mix in her cage like someone recommended and she has been eating that too! She even likes the sludge but her wee face is so mucky lol. She has been munching hay as well as her burgess food.

She's back at the vet tomorrow. Our vet doesn't have ultrasound or any fancy stuff and said he wouldn't be happy operating as he doesn't have the skill. Its a small town vet who has a solo practice but he is great and so kind.

Can anyone advice on what to do about current syringe feeding I am giving her? She was getting 60mls of rehydration soln syringe fed a day but as she is eating and drinking now I have stopped this. I am continuing the infacol as her tummy is still very noisy and rumbling. She was getting 1ml of lactulose a day but I've cut it back to 0.5mls as she is pooing. Is this ok?

Tnanks so much folk for your help. I am glad I joined and met fellow bunny lovers. All my mates think I am nuts

Dr Shash

If she remains on Lactulose its important to keep her well hydrated. So if she appears not to be drinking much I'd continue to syringe some fluids into her. You need to aim at a fluid intake of 100ml/kg/24 hours whilst she is having the Lactulose. As she is now eating for herself I would not syringe her any more Recovery Food.

Well done on getting her through all this :)
Once she is fully well I'd advise trying to work out a possible cause- Her diet maybe ?

Please keep us updated :D

Thanks

Thank you

I think it perhaps was her teeth. She usually has no problem with them but when the vet did the xray he looked at the teeth and there were spurs so he shaved them. Perhaps that put her off food and then the gut went into stasis.

Also she occasionally gets a yoghurt drop treat. She is so sweet as she gets one every night when she goes back in he cage. She knows the box noise and goes demented, begging at the cage. However, the local shop didn't have the usual yoghurt treats so got others and they were twice the size. Wondering if this contributed too. From now on, she will not get any treats. Maybe a brussel sprout instead as she loves these! I saw someone gave her bun coriander...I have some in the house. Is it ok to feed her that too.

Millie is 2.5kg so am guessing that that she should have 250mls of fluid a day. Wow. If she is eating and drinking now, should I perhaps only give her about 60mls syringe fed then whilst on lactulose?

Sharon

Mine find any sort of herbs a treat, as well as grass/ dandelion leaves, or the odd (little) bit of fruit.

Thank you

I think it perhaps was her teeth. She usually has no problem with them but when the vet did the xray he looked at the teeth and there were spurs so he shaved them. Perhaps that put her off food and then the gut went into stasis.

Also she occasionally gets a yoghurt drop treat. She is so sweet as she gets one every night when she goes back in he cage. She knows the box noise and goes demented, begging at the cage. However, the local shop didn't have the usual yoghurt treats so got others and they were twice the size. Wondering if this contributed too. From now on, she will not get any treats. Maybe a brussel sprout instead as she loves these! I saw someone gave her bun coriander...I have some in the house. Is it ok to feed her that too.

Millie is 2.5kg so am guessing that that she should have 250mls of fluid a day. Wow. If she is eating and drinking now, should I perhaps only give her about 60mls syringe fed then whilst on lactulose?

Sharon

If she is drinking for herself and also having some fresh veg (which contain some water) then 60mls of syringed fluids should be fine.
Did the Vet say how long she is to stay on the Lactulose ? I think I'd want to try to stop it ASAP but of course you should discuss this with your Vet.

Molar spurs are the prime suspect in Bun GI problems.
Does Millie have a diet based on 80-90% hay ? It is this sort of diet that can help reduce the risk of Dental problems. But of course some breeds are more prone to them despite a good hay based diet- eg Lops, Nethies and Lionheads.

:wave:

millie

She usually eats plenty hay as well as burgess dried food for selective feeders, carrots and broccoli. She has vet tomorrow so will mention about lactluose then.

Just off to give her some fluids and lactulose.

Thanks for advice

Sharon

Millie better

Hello

Just to say I had Millie at the vet today for a check up and she is fine. I am calling her Miracle Millie. She stopped pooing and eating for 12 days, her gut was full of gas on xray and ?partially obstructed. I spent the whole time syringe feeding her lactulose, rehydration soln, infacol and pineapple juice; she attended the vet daily for antibiotics, pain, metocolpramide and subcut fluid inj and something obviously worked. She is eating loads, pooing great and is so lively. It really gives hope to others as all the books say gut stasis is so serious and rabbits deteriorate quickly. The vet said my intensive nursing was the key. Maybe I am in the wrong job!! I am so pleased I still have my Millie as she is adorable. She is only 3 and a half and obviously not ready to leave us. The vet found spurs on her teeth and I think perhaps that put her off her food and put gut into stasis so I will get her regular checkups to prevent this. I was prepared to pay anything if it would save her and my bill was £150 for everything including all the daily check ups for 2 weeks, the xrays, teeth cutting and all the injections. He is a single handed vet in our town and we think he is great!

Thanks for everyone's support

Sharon

Mine will drink a whole bowl of water, if I put a probiotic in it. They love the taste and it would also help her following her gut problems. Either Biolapis or Avipro.

Back