• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit being a bit quiet

Turbobek

Young Bun
Morning,

I have 2 rabbits which are quite active, charity and george.

George seems very quiet and normally runs around everywhere but last night came in and sat down quiet near me. Then this morning i couldnt get him back into the conservatory and even managed to catch him when he was running which is usually impossible.
When he was in the conservatory the door to the lounge was open and he went to come back in.
Hes really not himself, very quiet and when i pick him up for a cuddle not struggling to go down like usual.
Is it possible for rabbits to have a slight cold (i am thinking he is just under the weather) and how long would you leave it before you took him to the vets for a check?

Any advise would be greatly appriciated.

Becky
xxx

I'd take him to the Vets this morning

Being prey animals Rabbits usually hide illness/pain. So if you are actually noticing something he needs to be examined by a Vet. Rabbits deteriorate very quickly so its always important to take prompt action.

Good luck and please keep us posted :)

Being prey animals Rabbits usually hide illness/pain. So if you are actually noticing something he needs to be examined by a Vet. Rabbits deteriorate very quickly so its always important to take prompt action.

Couldn't agree more. Is he eating and pooing OK?

Ditto!

Well i usually shut the cage door while i am work (Its a huge cage with lots of toys and stuff) but i have left them open today. As there are two of them i cant tell if hes eating like usual but i am going to go home and put the camera on them for the afternoon to see what hes up to whilst i am at work.

I rang the vets and the only late appointment they have is tomorrow at 5.45 so i am going them. I cant go today as i was late in myself due to a doctors appointment and had a day off last week for a funeral so work will not be impressed.

I looked at his man area this morning and it seems a bit red but nothing unusual.

I will nip home on dinner and have a check on him.
I am so worried, i hope its nothing serious.

Thanks for your comments so far.

I would put your bun indoor, so you can observe his diet and his poos level. Also, by keeping him warm, it helps on his immune system

Well they are inside the house anyway but i do have another (smaller) indoor cage from when he was little, perhaps i should put him in that in the lounge so i can see whats happening, i was worried about splitting them up as the bond is so close...

Becky I did mail you
He really should get to a vet today..putting it off could mean a very sad ending..24 hours to a rabbit is a very long time
Don't split them it will cause him more stress..take them together
If your vet can't see him before tomorrow try a different vet..did tell you about King Richards..in meantime keep him warm
Keep us posted

Hi, Jill - i cant access facebook at work but did pick it up a min ago when i nipped home - thank you, I have rang up the King richard surgery and they have booked me in tonight at 5.40, they seemed really nice and when i explained they agreed it was urgent.

I have put the video camera on him whilst i am out and some fresh veggies.

Thanks for everyones comments, i really appriciate it and hope that i am over reacting and there is nothing wrong with him, hes just got rabbit cold!

I will let you all know how i get on tonight.

Becky
xx

Evening. Well we went to the vets (And very nice they were) She had a good feel, stuck something in his mouth and looked, checked his tempreture and everything seems ok. She said hes slightly under weight (although not a problem) and his teeth are starting to (something) she said i need to give more hay but anymore hay and he will look like a bale!

She gave him some pain killers and a few other injections and he seems more perky although she wants to see him on wednesday just to monitor him.

I feel much better now, thats for everyones support today, i really appriciated it.

Hes not out of the woods yet but i am monitoring him closely.

Thanks for the reccomendation Jill.

Becky
xx

Back