• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can a bunny eat too much hay?

Snowberry

Wise Old Thumper
Both of my bunnys love their hay and im constantly having too top it up- can they have too much? They would both eat at least double their body size in it and more if I was home during day to top it up!

Definately not, encourage them to eat lots of hay and you are less likely to get dental problems and gut problems.

Some people I know dont feed pellets they just feet veg and hay / grass.

I dont think mine would be too chuffed if I stopped the pellets- they love them! I have cut them right back to just a table spoon in the morning and evening though.

I got them those hay racks to have on their cages but they are just too small- I have to refill them about 8 times a day to keep them going so ive swapped to just a big pile on the floor now! Although it proves impossible to get all the little bits up that they dnt fancy!

Hay pretty much goes right through their system so no worries:D That's one reason they do eat so much is that they lack muscles in their digestive system so they HAVE to eat almost constantly to keep the digestion going, pretty much just pushing the food through:lol:
That is yet another reason they need free access to it.

If hay racks are too small you could try using hanging baskets. The RSPCA rescue I adopted mine from used and recommended these as you can get so much more in.

That sounds like a great idea! When (If) they are bonded I will use a washing up bowl I think as they will get through loads between them!

Back