• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My bunny has red eyes

Maria786

Warren Scout
Both of the whites of his eyes have sort of turned red. Just saw it this evening, sort of panicking incase its something serious. I dont even have pet insurance, can u recommend any from experience and also tell me why his eyes might be red?

Sounds like he may have got a little infection or something - I'd pop him up to the vets tomorrow, red whites suggest that he's feeling quite sore so the sooner he can get some medicine (probably eye drops) the better, and also the sooner he gets them, hopefully the quicker it will clear up without any longer term problems :)

do u use sawdust? im not an expert but maybe it could be something irritating its eyes???

I use dust extracted wood shavings, but was planning to swap over for bio catolet soon as the pack is still not used up. I dunno if it's the wood shavings or an infection, but will go to vet tomorrow and also get some insurance for him, cant really afford vet bills these days..........:(

Don't worry about insurance. If it's just an eye infection then it won't be expensive :)

Oh right, but the rabbit savvy vet that i know of, who isnt cheap charges about £27 just for checking and then other meds on top. The cheap vet doesnt seem as savvy.

Eye infections are usually very simple to treat and recognise. Usually anti-biotics and/or eye drops are prescribed. I've had a lot of experience with bunnies with eye infections. Biscuit has had so many I've lost count, and Wuzzle's just had a nasty one brought on by him moulting. Are his eyes weeping??

I had eye drops a few weeks ago for one of mine and it cost me £28 for the consultation and then £8 for the drops. To be honest insurance wouldnt help in situations like this as it usually has an excess of about £45.

I had an £80 bill the other day but insurance wouldnt help- it was £40 for each bun and mine has a £40 excess!

Don't worry about insurance. If it's just an eye infection then it won't be expensive :)

hey sorry but you can never tell!! My two buns had an infection and weeks later I am still backwards and forwards to the vets and it has cost me a small fortune!

We have a great rabbit savvy vet in Barnsley which isn't far from you. A consultation is £19.95 for rabbits then medicine on top.

For the time being, you can use natural tear drop on the bunny's eyes, as many times as you want, it's perfectly okay to drop it on his eyes. It does not solve the problem, but the moisture makes their eyes more comfy.

I have use it before on Bernie when there is a piece of fur stuck on his eyes. I drop enough eye drop for it to flush the fur off his eyes.

The brand name I use is called Allergan Refresh Celluvisc, there is no preservative in the substance.

Back