• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Please let this be a phantom!

CarmenCole

Mama Doe
Okay...

The dutch doe I rescued on Tuesday, has suddenly started nesting frantically. :shock:

We already know she is big (3.57kg), the vet that checked her wasn't my usual one, and didn't seem to know her bunnies, but she had trouble finding her heart. I was guessing it was because of the fat, but is it possible it was babies getting in the way and confusing a clear heartbeat? :?

I've chucked a ton more hay in there (she's been bedded on fleecy blankets as I wanted to keep a clear view of her poops) and she seems to be building an impressive nest.

Is there anything else I can do to help her? She has lay down to rest now and nodded off to sleep. I just hope it's a phantom. :shock:

Autumn did this when I first got her, I think its the upheaval and being in close procimity to males. sends their hormones doolaleee, esp when they hav n't been with/near a male before

Hi Nat :wave:

No, they didn't have other buns. But, they had a very insecure run they used to leave her in all day (my cat has figured out how to get in and out of it since I put it up in my garden to replace the mesh yesterday). They said they had wild buns visit the garden. Also, they walked her on a lead on the lawn. I do get the feeling they wouldn't tell me if she had 'met' with another bun though. I did wonder when I first saw that belly, it is very round, and she seems to be carrying most of her excess weight underneath.

I really hope I'm making a fuss over nothing. :?

I would suggest giving her a nest box. Line it with lots of hay and maybe something at the bottom, and put her nest in there.

The box needs to be open at the top, and big enough for her to just get in, but not do much more than stand in there.

It will stop any babies wriggling away and beind separated from each other.

Autumn did this when I first got her, I think its the upheaval and being in close procimity to males. sends their hormones doolaleee, esp when they hav n't been with/near a male before

Two of my does have had phantoms on arriving (Nicholas has that effect :shock::lol: ), but she's been nowhere near him, and is quite frantic in her behaviour. That's why my confidence is shaking a little. :oops:

Hopefully that is all it is. :wave:

Hm i guess, theres not much you can do, sorry sounds harsh.

When Tiffany arrived and we discovered she was pregnant, well we was 80% sure of it. Within 4 days of arriving she began to build a nest, then the night after i discovered babies....

Plenty of hay, food, is she inside or out? We kept Tiffany in due to the horrid weather :)

I would chill out and just observe. Theres little you can do but wait and see so try not to worry, what will be will be. I'm sure you already know what you would do if she did have babies, you'll just maybe have to check on her a little more often for a little while :D

Yeah, these things happen I know. The poor girl is getting along in years though, so I'm worried how she'll handle it. :(

She's indoors, living in my kitchen. She's been very hormonal today, buzzing at me, grooming my hands and being very affectionate, bless her. It was really warm out yesterday, so I left her have a run around the garden, she was so happy, binkying like mad around the garden.

She's had horrid poos from eating nasty cheap mix for years, so I had her on fleece blankets, which she has cleverly rearranged into the base of her nest, building around it with hay. She's just got the hang of her litter tray too, so I think a nesting box may confuse her - she loves having the extra space, and gets upset if you even put her greens in the wrong place. :love:

I'll keep a close eye on her tonight. Stef looks like his pain is bad tonight, so we might even end up sleeping downstairs again. Here's hoping for an empty nest tomorrow, but if she delivers, here's for a busy few months ahead! :roll:

I would chill out and just observe. Theres little you can do but wait and see so try not to worry, what will be will be. I'm sure you already know what you would do if she did have babies, you'll just maybe have to check on her a little more often for a little while :D

Thanks hun. :wave:

Oooh! Missed your responses guys - sorry!

She has left her nest for the moment. She has developed an impressive dewlap, but hasn't pulled any fur yet.

I've tried to have a feel of her tummy, gently pressing, and all I can feel is fat. :roll:

So far, so good. :) Thanks for checking on us! :love:

Oooh! Missed your responses guys - sorry!

She has left her nest for the moment. She has developed an impressive dewlap, but hasn't pulled any fur yet.

I've tried to have a feel of her tummy, gently pressing, and all I can feel is fat. :roll:

So far, so good. :) Thanks for checking on us! :love:

Good to hear, i hope it is :D :wave:

Back