• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Loss of fur on back - UPDATE

flump

New Kit
Hi, my rabbit flump has got a patch of fur missing on the middle of his back. It doesn't look inflamed or red, but has what looks like dry skin. I've checked his fur for fleas, and he looks really clean. He's eating and drinking well. His mate (Rita) is completley fine, I've checked her for fleas and she seems clean.
Does anyone have any ideas?

I'm going to try and get him in at the vets tomorrow, do you think I should take Rita as well, or just flump?

thanks!

Last edited:
The dry skin probably indicates mites.

A course of injections will solve the problem.

sometimes, but they seem fairly equal most of the time.
Should I take them both to the vets or just him?

If the Doe is dominant she may be humping him and pulling his fur out.

I usually take bonded Buns to the Vets together :)

Good luck :D

My Sooty had mites a few months back and presented with the exact same symptoms.

She had a course of 3 injections and the problem has cleared completely now.

Flump Update

I braved the snow and took both of my bunnies to the vets.
She suspects it is mites, and has given both of them an injection and will give them 2 more. (Poor Rita, I only took her along to keep flump company and now she's having injections :roll::lol:) )

So hopefully that should do the trick.

Thank you for all of your replies!!!

Back