• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbits are dirty?? aparently?

xXx_Niki_xXx

Young Bun
I need help cracking my housemate into letting me have a pair of indoor rabbits, she's claiming they are dirty because her rabbit she had was (obviousy didnt clean it everyday!) Any ideas? She'd prefer me get a dog instead as they are much cleaner :shock:, am i the only one who knows rabbits that are litter trained are cleaned apposed to a dog that will leave hair, mud etc all over the house? Stressed! :roll:

Mostly, bunnies are very clean.
They can be litter trained, and if neutured will not spray.
Also in pairs they keep eachother clean with all their kisses!
My two don't have a litter tray but they still poo and wee in the same corner.

When we looked for a new home, we viewed many houses. And I could always smell if someone had a dog. They make a house smelly. They have dirty feet when coming in from walks, they have smelly poo and some have really bad breath. And they yip or bark.
Bunnies don't smell at all, unless they are fed on Excel pellets, which make their poos stink. Or they are fed unsuitable things, and they don't get cleaned out often enough.

im so stressed out, iv had house buns previously and they were never dirty, never found they smelt at all, pooing all over the house another claim, but even if they did rabbit poo aint like dog poo lol! Its like horse poo! Far clean enough to have a fight with haha! :lol:

they arent so much smelly or dirty as plain destructive :shock: then theres the hay every where :lol::lol:

its a shame your housemate says no, but if they aint animal orientated i think they would really struggle to live with a house bunny and are probably right to say no.

My bunnys are very clean, and remain clean as long as I kept on top of keeping there accomidation clean :)
Ive had my bunnys nearly 2 years now and dont find them smelly at all!

hm, they are untidy but I find them a very clean animal. The poos aren't exactly a bother and don't smell. :)

when i had pebble in (for about 3 weeks) mum didnt comment about her smelling, and she has a REALLY sensitive nose, the hammy is more smeely than pebble was.! And the hamster doesnt smell! :shock:

its a shame your housemate says no, but if they aint animal orientated i think they would really struggle to live with a house bunny and are probably right to say no.

thats the thing, she comes and rides my horse, cleans out etc, loves my hamster and loved the puppy (she went back to the farm when she was big enough bless) i think she has a grudge against rabbits lol i think i might just get some lol! proove her wrong! my other housemates are thinking of names and want them to live in the front room apposed to the spare room

thats the thing, she comes and rides my horse, cleans out etc, loves my hamster and loved the puppy (she went back to the farm when she was big enough bless) i think she has a grudge against rabbits lol i think i might just get some lol! proove her wrong! my other housemates are thinking of names and want them to live in the front room apposed to the spare room

haha yes if she loves animals deffo prove her wrong :D:D:D

As long as humans keep the rabbits living accomodation clean then rabbits definately don't smell.

Mine has free range downstairs except at night when he's shut in the kitchen. He's not stinky at all and was really easy to litter train. I have an under the bed type box in the living room and I change the bedding every day so all you can smell is fresh hay (YUMMY!!!)
The only problem I have is the amount of fluff he produces!
I'd say find out if someone near you has a house bun and then take her to meet them and see the set up.

I would say that both dogs and rabbits are only as clean as their owners allow them to be. Most are easy to train to a litter tray like a cat.

Ask you housemate who wants to get a dog who's going to walk this dog 3 times a day hail, rain or shine and is there someone in the house most of the day to housetrain it and stop it howling and being destructive because it's lonely.

A pair of rescue bunnies would be far more suitable and less trouble to care for as long as you rabbit proof their area so they can't eat your furniture or wires. To be honest I'd set up the spare room as a large bunny room so they don't have to be cooped up in a small cage all day in the front room and can be loose in their bedroom all day, then let them in the front room with you when you are about. They can have a litter tray in the front room to save them going back in the bedroom for potty breaks. Best compromise all round for keeping the bunnies safe and happy.

yup i agree with all other havin 4 indoor ones meself, they can be untidy but they are very clean if i dont clean out the litter tray enough they will wee on the floor, thats how they are
looking at a rescue with a already bonded neutered pair will be your best bet as a rescue will tell also how clean they are, mind you bare in mind how they act in a rescue can be totaly differant at home, i would stil choose the spare room personaly, although your other mate is for it im sure a chewed phone cable or telly wire will not go down well, wires are like radars to some buns:lol:and also for better space an peace and quiet, and just let tem loose round the whole house when supervised

The one thing that I've actually managed to teach Boris is using the litter tray. :lol: Litter training him was a piece of cake really,rabbits are surprisingly intelligent and quite capable of learning new things. As well as bad habits,might I add. :roll::lol: Like eating wallpaper and wires.

yup i agree with all other havin 4 indoor ones meself, they can be untidy but they are very clean if i dont clean out the litter tray enough they will wee on the floor, thats how they are
looking at a rescue with a already bonded neutered pair will be your best bet as a rescue will tell also how clean they are, mind you bare in mind how they act in a rescue can be totaly differant at home, i would stil choose the spare room personaly, although your other mate is for it im sure a chewed phone cable or telly wire will not go down well, wires are like radars to some buns:lol:and also for better space an peace and quiet, and just let tem loose round the whole house when supervised

I'm glad it's not just Kira who is fussy and does this :lol:

thanks for all your views! glad you all think the same as me! Our house is already surprisingly bunny proof, but i have decided against it as i cant count on my horse not getting ill again (he has asthma) so i may disappear for hours on end nursing him and so every day is a bit unpredictable! But thankyou for helping me resolve this issue!

Back