• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

what to do next?

ostaragirl

Warren Scout
Hi

I've got 2 little girlies roughly about 7 weeks old. They are sharing an indoor cage at the moment and will be free range as much as possible. I'm wondering about vaccinations and neutering and when this should be done. Their sex could be a debatable because the girl that gave me them said she wasn't sure and I haven't looked yet. What age will I be able to tell?:)

Myxi vaccination can be given from 8 weeks and the VHD vacc 2 weeks after that. Neutering for girls can be done from 4-5 months, and should be done by a rabbit-savvy vet. Rabbits are incredibly hard to sex, even experts get it wrong, so it's best to get a vet to check them now and in a few weeks time just to be sure.

:wave: Your buns can have their myxomatosis vaccine now, this can be done from 6 weeks old (here is the product datasheet: http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/Intervet_Schering-Plough/Nobivac_Myxo/-29531.html)

If they have the lapinject VHD vaccine this can be given 2 weeks later (http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/CEVA_Animal_Health_Ltd/Lapinject_VHD/-42508.html)

If they have the cylap VHD vaccine, they can have this from 10 weeks of age (http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/Fort_Dodge_Animal_Health/Cylap/-44935.html)

So when you go to the vet for their myxo, ask which VHD vaccine they use, as many vets keep either or both in stock. The lapinject only comes in a container of 5 vaccines that need to be used on the same day so some vets only use this if they are likely to use lots in one day.

Baby rabbits can be tricky to sex but at 7 weeks a reasonable vet should be able to tell you. I would get them re-checked when you go back for their second vaccination and hopefully this will confirm the initial thinking. Even after that if you're not 100% certain I would check again at 12 weeks old...they should be relatively straightforward to sex by that age, and it is important that they are verified as the same sex at that age as they will soon be sexually mature :shock:

I would also talk about neutering when you are there for the vaccines - some vets will neuter as soon as the bunnies get to 1kg, some will wait until they are 6 months old. As yours are together I would suggest aiming for getting them done around 4.5-5 months if your vet is comfortable with this; it strikes a balance between age and likelihood of them fighting. If before they get done you notice changes in their behaviour towards each other, it may be worth getting them booked in sooner if possible, as it can be tricky to rebond bunnies once they have had a nasty fight.

I would also ask your vet how often they do rabbit spays and what sort of success rate they have. It is fairly straightforward in the hands of a competent rabbit vet but if your vet doesn't do many I would try and find one that does.

Good luck :)

A lot to consider then.. I will phone the vet tommorrow and get them checked out and see about vaccines. Certainly don't want any babies at the mo.
What are the chances that they will fight with each other? and does that start at any age? Right now they are best of friends, cuddling up and at first I thought one was more dominant but it looks like a bit of role reversal and they seem on equal footing. Are there any tips to miminise the chances of them fighting?:wave:

Back