• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Lump on Nose Developed Overnight - Suggestions please

The Duchess

Wise Old Thumper
Hi folks

Need some help from experienced bunny carers please.

Have been treating Dummy the bun (foster) for EC recently following on from a dental where he had a large spur removed. He's been on both Panacur for 28 days and also on Metacam recently as he has had a dribbly mouth and a wet behind. He's also lost a lot of weight which could relate to either the dental issues or his EC.

All symptoms of EC (he was tested and was showing activity so hence treatment), but now this morning, he has developed a lump on his nose. It was certainly not visible last night as I check his face for dribble etc every night before bed.

He's vaccinated against Myxo (know this doesn't prevent it), has had a further dental check over a week ago (possible abscess?) and I don't think it looks like syphilis.

I am in the process of getting him seen by the vet, but have you an ideas guys? Poor wee man has been through so much recently, his immune system must be at a real low.

Appreciate some suggestions as to what it might be.

IMG_1998.jpg

IMG_1997.jpg

IMG_1995.jpg

It's a bit difficult to tell but it does look as if it could possibly be a myxo nodule :? Have you given him a good feel all over to see if there's any others under the fur around his head/ears and a looky at his 'bits'?

Hope the lil man is ok xxx

It's a bit difficult to tell but it does look as if it could possibly be a myxo nodule :? Have you given him a good feel all over to see if there's any others under the fur around his head/ears and a looky at his 'bits'?

Hope the lil man is ok xxx

If I am honest, I haven't yet. Will do so now.

Can Myxo come up that quickly? It wasn't even visible this morning when he got his meds.

Harry's myxo nodule (singular - he only ever got the one!) came up overnight, it surprised me how suddenly it appeared, so I would say it is possible :?

Harry's myxo nodule (singular - he only ever got the one!) came up overnight, it surprised me how suddenly it appeared, so I would say it is possible :?

Right, just checked him over. It's not so easy as he is very skinny and difficult to feel him properly but it seems that there is nothing else.

Another photo.
IMG_4589.jpg

Is that a second one further up his nose? Whatever it is isn't visible on the first picture.

Just tried that in google Jane and am getting human stuff come up - will look into it. Thanks. Do you know off the top of your head what the treatment would be?

Is that a second one further up his nose? Whatever it is isn't visible on the first picture.

Hi Sooz

No the dark bit in the phot is just where his fluff was held down in an earlier picture. Have checked over the rest of his nose/body and so far have found nothing.

A course of Depocillin injections. One a week for 3-6 weeks :)

Thank you.

It's a vet trip now anyway. Just feel so bad for this wee guy. He is one of the Wickham 12 and was going to be returned to his owner. Can't see how this is going to happen now as she won't cope giving meds.:cry:

Thank you.

It's a vet trip now anyway. Just feel so bad for this wee guy. He is one of the Wickham 12 and was going to be returned to his owner. Can't see how this is going to happen now as she won't cope giving meds.:cry:

Well he wont need to be on treatment longterm if it is Treponematosis :)

Those close ups look more like onset of syphillis than myxo to me. Hope so, it's pretty easy to cure - but very infectious so if he's in contact with any other buns (including having had the opportunity to give them a close up sniff through the bars) I would ask whether others should be treated too. Most of the pictures you're likely to find of syphillis are of it fully developed where its all crusty, but I have seen it start looking similar to this before.

Well he wont need to be on treatment longterm if it is Treponematosis :)

No, that would be a good thing; the owner didn't feel able to deal with the other issues that cropped up either so that's why he's still here. Out of the 12 that came this boy and his wife were due to go back after they'd be vaccinated etc.

Her vet also told her that he only had ear mites (which she was supposed to be treating but hadn't) and I could see no sign of them. He had a very weepy eye but they didn't think it was significant. He had a check up as soon as he arrived here and there was a massive spur which they had missed, in fact they had told her he had no dental issues at all.

She doesn't know who to trust - me or the vets down there.

I think she'll see this as a way of me keeping hold of her buns even longer. I feel so bad for her as she loves them all (12 to bits) but can't cope with anything but the basic care.

Thanks again Jane.

Those close ups look more like onset of syphillis than myxo to me. Hope so, it's pretty easy to cure - but very infectious so if he's in contact with any other buns (including having had the opportunity to give them a close up sniff through the bars) I would ask whether others should be treated too. Most of the pictures you're likely to find of syphillis are of it fully developed where its all crusty, but I have seen it start looking similar to this before.

Thank you - nope he's been hospitalised in doors away from other buns and we've been changing our clothes after handling too. We've also got a strict regime of gloves, cleansers etc by their pen. But we will just have to be extra cautious now with aprons etc too.

Back