• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Blindness in a REW.

I'm not sure but I am glad you have asked as one of the lionheads is a REW and I have a suspicion that she has very poor eye sight. Just because she is startled easily etc.

Hmm, i dont know its Lottie, shes a German Lop REW, i have Ruby who is a Nethie REW, a fair gap in age, but Ruby has bright red eyes, where as Lottie, espec one eye, she has like a white glaze over it..

It just seems to of recently appeared :?

Hmm, i dont know its Lottie, shes a German Lop REW, i have Ruby who is a Nethie REW, a fair gap in age, but Ruby has bright red eyes, where as Lottie, espec one eye, she has like a white glaze over it..

It just seems to of recently appeared :?

This little lionhead has got pinky/bluey/grey eyes :shock:

dont know if this is true im going by obsevation (so peeps quote me if im wrong )this is just theory, when i got my rews to foster i noticed jim scanning alot more than the others before he moved what seemed to me he adjusted by sitting there scanning hes seeing differances in darkness and light and so object that didnt move say a bed he took note of so he was then confident to run around, if something or someone creeped past he got startled so i would make noise or call him to let him know i was around, i had him in my bedroom with the door wide open as he didnt venture out of my room for 3 weeks after about a week 4 am he would do his mad dashes around my room :roll: had to be 4 am :lol: but if i had placed an item that wasnt there before he brushed by it and looked abit shocked, but quickly adjusted and resumed his mad runs, boy i miss that lil guy and his "wake up mom" nose butts in the morning

if its sudden i would take to the vet for a check up tbh

I wouldnt say sudden.

She and Albie went for there VHD begginning of Jan, and had a good check over, didnt notice it then....

Could it be brought on by stress?

The Vet suggested there move from there foster home to me may of caused them to stress a little, thats all.

cataracts? do rabbits get them?, but then I doubt it would be sudden.

Sophie scans, its freaky, but she had 2 rew in her litter. And gets startled easily

is it possible somethings got in the eye to cause that sorry i dont know if stress could of caused jannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnne where are ya :lol:

I had a REW who scanned all the time and when he ran up to you he sometimes ran into your legs, bless! One of his eyes were glazed over like your Lottie, it was a milky white colour and the vet said he had a cataract. (it was the first rabbit he had ever seen with a cataract app) He was perfectly happy though his sight problems never seemed to bother him and he ran around the garden doing binkys everywhere when he was let out of his run- he was the most lovely rabbit :love:

i'm not sure how you'd tell if they were blind other than by using light...if he is an indoor rabbit you could see how she reacts by the light being switched on?

Its NOT a sudden thing! :)

She is outdoors, dont get me wrong, she is VERY happy in her self! :D

Just wondered what it could be. :wave:

i'm sure it's nothing to be worried about and getting her checked out at the vets will give you peace of mind.

it sounds like a cataract like my rabbit benji had and he had no problems with it.

hope you find out for deffo soon

i'm sure it's nothing to be worried about and getting her checked out at the vets will give you peace of mind.

it sounds like a cataract like my rabbit benji had and he had no problems with it.

hope you find out for deffo soon

Am sure she will be fine and yes thats what i want, peace of mind :)

Thankyou :wave:

Hi, I have two blind buns (in one eye each) and you can tell they are different from the other two buns in the litter. When I let them out, the two 'normal' buns just go for it and love running around the garden whereas the other two are more slower .... and have their nose/face along more sticking out looking (if that makes sense?). Also if you come up behind them on the wrong side (ie the blind side) then they get very scared whereas if you go the other side, they are fine :)

Both bun's had a 'cloud' over the eyes but it is slowly going away and the eyes are starting to look 'normal' - although the sight will never be there.

Def worth getting checked out.

Back