• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hay indoors

Snowberry

Wise Old Thumper
Just out of interest how do u all clean up hay for indoor bunnies?I use a fleece blanket on the floor of my bunnies area and find the hay just sticks to it so a dustpan and brush dont do much! I tried hoovering it but have completly clogged my hoover up!

Its driving us mad, we are finding tiny bits of it everywhere! I think im going to have to stop using fleece and get some lino so we can sweep it up.I shake the fleece outside but when they need washing we find that the little bits get into the washer and end up all over our clothes. I cant count the number of times ive woken up in the night to find hay stuck to my face! God knows how it gets in our bed when the bunnies dont go upstairs!

Post spay my two were in my room in a crate and the hay was absolute hell :censored:

Haha, I share your pain. Alfie and Bubbles are in the kitchen right now and I keep finding bits of hay all over the house.:roll::lol: Not to mention poo everywhere - they seem to roll all over the place on laminate flooring. :lol:

Dust pan and brush twice a day. Although if I leave the dustpan Abbey tips it over, so I have to sweep it again. She thinks its a game, I don't.

it is a nightmare!!! if you have carpet use a hoover but you do have to unclog it continuely. I have laminate flooring so i sweep most of it up and the small bits i cant get i hoover up lol. Still appears everywhere tho!!

I use fleece blankets as well and use washing up bowls for the hay as they are really deep this keeps a lot of it off the fleece and then i hoover the rest up, i have a dyson and it has never clogged its well worth the money!

I have lino with cheap off cut of carpet on top. Twice a day I use a brush and dustpan then go over with a hand held vaccum. The vet bed on one of the shelves gets filthy so I put it in an old pillowcase to wash it in the washing machine! All this and hay is still all over the house 5mins later!

For the hoovering people what do you do with your bunns while hooving, my two would be scared of the hoover, and I cant catch them (I don't even touch my bunnies) to put them in a dirrerent room while hoovering.

Do your bunnies not mind the hoover?

i have to stop fiver getting sucked up it!! He hops right over and tries to sniff the tube!! Of course i usually shove him away and with a grunt and kick he'll hop off.

You could possibly bar half of their home off so they sit in there while you hoover if your worried. And then move them to the clean side while you hoover the other half..if you get what i mean? lol

For the hoovering people what do you do with your bunns while hooving, my two would be scared of the hoover, and I cant catch them (I don't even touch my bunnies) to put them in a dirrerent room while hoovering.

Do your bunnies not mind the hoover?

Mine don't really mind the hoover! They will just run away from it then come back and sniff it, they think its a game!

Just out of interest how do u all clean up hay for indoor bunnies?I use a fleece blanket on the floor of my bunnies area and find the hay just sticks to it so a dustpan and brush dont do much! I tried hoovering it but have completly clogged my hoover up!

We put their selection on to a very large tray, then just brush up what they flick over the side. We put one tray under the kitchen table for when they are in and out of the garden and the other goes into the room they go in at night.

i have to stop fiver getting sucked up it!! He hops right over and tries to sniff the tube!! Of course i usually shove him away and with a grunt and kick he'll hop off.

You could possibly bar half of their home off so they sit in there while you hoover if your worried. And then move them to the clean side while you hoover the other half..if you get what i mean? lol

I might brave it tomorrow. I'll try hoovering the hallway with the door closed to their room, then open it, and see what they do, hopefully they'l be ok.

I was really worried mine would be afraid of the Hoover that's one of the reasons I got a hand held one to minimise stress from the size and sound They are fascinated by it! They follow it around and nudge it and try and sit near the bit that blows air out :lol: Theyre not particularly bothered by the proper Hoover they just keep a few hops away but as soon as it's switched off they are all over it and try to munch the lead!!!!

B has a small rabbit cage which i put her hay in as bedding and in hay rack.The door is always open but i find it useful to keep hay in so she can dig at it.If anything does escape i use a dustpan/brush or the hoover.:)

Mine were terrified of the hoover at first but they are getting better. I usually let them out for a run while I clean them out so they can run away if they want to but it doesnt really bother them anymore!

Daisy loves the hoover. I didn't use it for the first few days she was here in case it frightened her, but as soon as it's switched on she runs over and tries to help by biting it :lol:

As for hay, I have it everywhere! Somehow it's upstairs even though Daisy is usually just in the living room, and the other morning I had a near death hay experience ... ok a bit melodramatic ... but as I was getting up, I yawned and moved the duvet away from me at the same time, and a piece of hay flew done my throat :shock: My o/h thought it was very funny (after I'd stopped spluttering) and dropped several unsubtle hints about housework, :roll:

:lol: try havin 2 buns in the kitchen 2 in dining room bondings of a weekend in the living room an 1 upstairs in the bedroom my house was like a barn hay was even in me bed the stairs well wot stairs :lol:

not so bad now just got me 4 indoors , and 2 out
me an my son would place bets on who would drop a strand of hay first

Back