• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Quick update on Abby the dental bun

abbymarysmokey

Wise Old Thumper
My bun Abby is unwell today.I think she may be going into stasis. The vet has given her metaclopromide, sub-q fluids and pain relief.

I have brought her into the house, but I'm unsure whether to bring her partner Smokey in too. Smokey is her Mum, and they have lived together since Abby was born around 6 years ago. Normally I would keep pairs together, but Smokey has always bullied Abby and may take advantage of her being ill. They always sit together in their hutch/run, but Smokey can suddenly flip and start chasing Abby, especially when food is around.

So...Should I keep them together or bring Abby in on her own? Any opinions are appreciated :)

Last edited:
I would say maybe try bringing them both in and then if Smokey is being unhelpful maybe try and keep them next to each other, just not together? I would think it would help Abby to have some company and may stress her more to be separate.

Difficult one:?
Some pairs never truly bond..just seem to rub along together..only you know your rabbits so its whether you think she will miss her..or be relieved to have a break
Hope she soon picks up x

I also think it depends on whether you will be able to get them back together when she is feeling better and if not whether you are able to accomodate 2 single buns.

I hope Abby feels better soon :)

Personally i'd give it a go, and if she does have a go at her, just seperate them for the time being.
Tricky one though!

I agree, bring her in aswell unless she starts fighting. Being seperated can add to the stress and won't help her get better.

I'd keep them together but if Smokey is a mare I'd keep them next to each other but not actually in the same cage/crate or whatever

I hope Abby feels better soon

xx

I would also bring them into together and only split if it causes a problem.

Get well soon sweet bun xx

Thanks to everyone for the vibes for Abby :)

I didn't bring Smokey in after all, but I will if Abby seems down. TBH I don't think Abby will be able to go back outside, and I didn't want Smokey staying in permanently as well, because she's a complete hooligan (despite being about 7 years old with chronic respiratory problems! :shock: )

Abby has eaten a little hay and grated apple, but no pellets or other veg. Do you think I should syringe feed her some recovery food? On one hand she needs to eat more, but on the other I don't want to stress her out too much...Any thoughts?

I would give her a couple of syringes of recovery just to up her fibre and keep her gut on the go
Keeping fingers crossed for her

Abby definitely hasn't gone into stasis (yet). She's done lots of normal poops and seems reasonably bright, but the only thing she is able to eat is soaked pellets, bits of hay, and bits of grated veg.

I can only presume it's her teeth again. She had a full dental under GA on 19th January, so this would be the shortest time between needing dentals. I've booked her in for Monday, so we'll have to wait and see whether she improves afterwards.

I think we may need to resort to weekly dentals instead of fortnightly ones :(

Abby is pretty much back to normal, although her nose has started running again, so I think she'll need a dental next week. Fortunately we managed to prevent her going into stasis in the end :D

She has had a couple of brief introductions with my single house bun Dominic, and they seem to get on well, despite him being a little too amorous! :lol:

We should start to an RU dental bunnies support group for all of us with high maintenance dental buns who worry the life out of us every time they stop eating! :roll: :lol:

Glad she has picked up..and met Dominic..who seems to be a randy thing!:shock::lol:
Will keep fingers crossed for the bonding and her teeth xx

Back