• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bringing rabbits in for a couple of hours

Cyberdog

Warren Scout
Hi,:wave:
We have two rabbits that live outdoors. Recently we have been allowing them into the house for a few hours every other night , to have a run around, and some company while we are watching TV.
Is it ok to bring them in like that, and then put them back outside into the cold hutch. Or am I worrying too much.

Thanks.:?

I wouldn't at this time of year to be honest, it's a bit like you getting settled in a nice cosy lounge and then being put back outside overnight without an extra coat. As long as they are outside all winter they will grow a lovely thick coat to cope with the cold - the risk of bringing them in and out is that it will confuse them and they might end up not having the correct thickness coat to cope with the cold, and the sudden changes from in/out is not good for them and could lead to the development of other conditions.

If you turn the heating off beforehand, and sit in a cold house while they are in it wouldn't be so bad for them - it would still be warmer and there wouldn't be a 'wind chill' factor but may be a suitable compromise :)

I've always been advised not to bring them in during the colder months. It is hard (from my own selfish point of view), but their health has to come first :wave:

Back