• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

A tad worried......U/D All is Fine YAY!

SisterMoonbeam

Mama Doe
I'm a little worried about fidget. I know you are supposed to be able to feel a rabbit's spine if they are the correct weight but hers is very protruding. I can feel every ridge quite sharply and her shoulders and hips too.

She eats like a pig so she isn't underfed. She's going for a health check on sunday but just wanted some opinions on this first... Do you think its normal to feel her bones to that degree?

Last edited:
Nope, not normal at all. She doesn't sound 100%. She definitely needs a full check. Maybe also some bloods too, if her teeth are ok. We have been sturggling with this with one of our girls. Her problem seems to be a combo of age, the cold, and her liver.

Good luck on Sunday. Keep feeding your bun agood amount, increase the amount too, I would think.

Sorry, that's a bit waffly. :|

Oh no :(

She is only young and has always been this way, it's not something that has developed. Her teeth look fine (no expert though) and her behaviour is normal.

I'm going to a visitor farm to get her checked on sunday, they are doing them for free for Rabbit Week which is good. I hope they find what the problem may be.

It's usually something to do with her metabolism. It's working too fast for her body to retain energy. Hope they find out what's wrong.

Very concerned now! I might go to get her checked tomorrow instead of sunday then! :(:(:(

I would - it doesn't sound at all normal. It might be something easily solved (e.g. worms or a hidden infection) but in any case it's better to get her checked earlier rather than later so that it can be medicated if necessary. If she has no bodyweight she will also struggle to stay warm so the sooner the better. Good luck, hope she's ok xx

Your vet will be able to tell for you and if they are concerned they can do all the required tests :wave:
Good luck, tons of vibes for little Fidget
Xx

I just weighed her... it was tricky lol so may not be exact but she is about 1.3kg and she's a nethie cross, a little bigger than a nethie but not much

how old is she ?
can you check her bottom, and really check her poos and see if you can see any tiny white worms they move really slow, well docs ones did, as shes growing it may be shes just growing faster than shes eating, for a neithie cross i dont think her weights that bad, my dutch was 1,7 kg
still take to vet, though more for peace of mind,:)

I just checked her poos when someone mentioned worms but they look fine....

here are some pics I just took to give an indication of her body condition - sorry they're not very good though..

EDIT: Sorry forgot to put, she's about 5 months old

DSC00012.jpg

DSC00014.jpg

DSC00016.jpg

Last edited:
her tummy does look a bit indented in the first piccie, does she share her food at all or still alone?
beth was small and underweight when she came to me now shes a nice if slightly :oops: plump bun
biggles was the runt of his litter and small when he came to me and is now 5 and half and is still acting like a kit :lol:
if shes running around pooing fine eating fine and indoors so you can monitor she may just need a lil feeding up as someone said could be her metabolism as shes growing
she looks bright eyed and gorgous:love:
let us know what the vet says :D

No she eats alone. She is housed indoors but goes in the outdoor run during the day.

Grrrr.... can't get her in today so will have to wait til tomoz :(

She's just produced some very strange sloppy poos and she usually goes mad for her pellets and she just ate a couple and is ignoring them! This is so weird.

I dont know whether to go to this health check thing tomoz or take her to my vet on monday where they can give her any medication that she may need!!!

Arghh.. don't know what to do, why do these things always happen at the weekend?

She's just produced some very strange sloppy poos and she usually goes mad for her pellets and she just ate a couple and is ignoring them! This is so weird.

I dont know whether to go to this health check thing tomoz or take her to my vet on monday where they can give her any medication that she may need!!!

Arghh.. don't know what to do, why do these things always happen at the weekend?

That doesnt sound so good hun. Can you ring your vet for advice? Gut things are always tricky in buns and best dealt with ASAP. how is she in herself? i'd keep her in and warm, water and hay and all that.

That doesnt sound so good hun. Can you ring your vet for advice? Gut things are always tricky in buns and best dealt with ASAP. how is she in herself? i'd keep her in and warm, water and hay and all that.

Her behaviour, other than ignoring her pellets, is fine, she's running around my bed throwing things on the floor (cheeky!) as normal. She's going back and forth to her pellets and eating one or two at a time but they're usually gone within about 5 minutes

I'm so sorry. Rabbit's are greta at picking the worst times.

I would also look at worming her, but also the possibility of a tapeworm. Obviously there are lots of other options too, like coccidiosis, so ther are a lot of things to consider and look at.

If she is not eating much you probbaly need to get her seen as quick as possible. That may mean going tomorrow, but also Monday, but that might be your best shot if she is slacking off on the pellets.

I will go tomorrow and then on monday aswell. They may be able to give me some kind of indication as to what may be wrong with her even if they can't give me the medication i think it would be worth going and then to my vets on monday.

God i hope its not serious im so worried now :cry:

i would start on a worming course you can buy panacur online but i think you should start sooner and try and get it in p@h

if shes doing sloppy poos give her plenty of fresh hay the fact shes moving around is a good sign i would ring vets for advise to be honest see what they say on whether taking her in

Back