• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

is it ok for rabbits to be outside in the winter

i know this may sound stupid our rabbits are out in thei big shed is it ok to sleep outside even in the cold I keep bringing them in but my husband thinks they are fine outside,if they sleep outside they seem to be ok,it me that can't sleep worrying,they run around the garden all day,any advice

Hi there

I have two outside bunnies, and they're fine. As long as they have lots of hay/straw to burrow into to keep warm they're ok. I know my two have developed nice thick winter coats, which along with lots of straw and a cover over the hutch keeps them nice and warm, even when it's -10 (which it was here a few weeks ago!).

From what I've heard, bunnies cope better with cold weather than they do hot - Although someone on here with more experience than me might want to confirm that, as it's just something I read on a website.

They will be fine outside:D
They will have their winter coats.Bringing them in though with the central heating on is no good if they are outdoor bunnies.
Mine have a lovely warm shed but much perfer sitting out in the cold:roll::lol::lol:

my 2 are out in their run 24 7 they never go in :shock:-- I was very wary of doing this but the rescue I got them from said it is fine, and they have been, although if it is wet and windy i put shower curtains all round the run--its a big 12 foot by 7 foot walk in dog run-- to protect them, and of course tons of hay and straw and vet beds in their hutch and cardboard boxes, and they are happy as anything!

All my buns are all outside and are fine, even had tiny babies in the cold, snowy weather and again all is fine! They had good furry coats to keep them warm alongside the hay!

Back