• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

A bit of Help Please

miniie1

New Kit
i found out today that my Doe Poppy may be pregnant i have been on holiday and had a neighbour looking after them and she accidently let my rabbits run round the garden and my buck has caught my female. How can i tell if she is pregnant? I don't mind having a litter and they will be looked after well as it is my fault but i want poppy to have the best chance to born these babies safely. Pls if anyone out there knows how i can tell pls let me know as she has started to squeak at me as if she is trying to tell me something.

Thank you for taking the time to read this little problem and any help would be much appreciated x

Rabbits can be difficult to tell to the experienced and inexperienced eye that they are pregnant. Some vets are good and able to confirm this others are not.

The gestation period is approximately 30 days.

Do ensure that your bun has lots of hay available, water and greens available to ensure that they are well nourished just in case.

It would be worthwhile getting your buck neutered ASAP to prevent further problems, you would also be able to bond him with your doe as soon as the kits are ready to be weaned.

If you are concerned about your female, I woud suggest getting a vet check done.

If they are both fertile then I would assume that she is pregnant. It's not possible to tell for the first few weeks. An ultrasound would be able to tell you eventually. The fact that she is grunting and being defensive of her home is an indication that she thinks she might be pregnant, but they also sometimes act like this with a phantom pregnancy.

Hi, my buck escaped and was with my doe for a few seconds (and I really mean a few seconds!) and that was all it took to get my bun pregnant so you have a strong chance that she may be.

They isn't much you can do to be honest, just provide her with lots of 'bedding' and see what happens! My doe pulled fur out a few hours before the kits were born but other than that there wasn't much signs ... she didn't look any bigger but did eat me out of house and home!

fingers crossed it turns out okay.

Back