• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Overgrowing Teeth - Remove Teeth!?!

BunnBunns

Young Bun
Hi there, my little bunnykins has wonky teeth and they grow over and I have to take once a week to get them filed down. The vet said to me that i could get her teeth removed. ALL four of her front ones would need removing.

IS THAT A GOOD THING TO DO?

I mean, she doesn't like going to the vets and it stresses her a bit, so not having to take her every month is a good point. But I mean - NO front teeth - ARE YOU SURE!? Is that cruel? How will she eat? I am unconvinced and wanted your advice, has anyone had there bunnys teeth removed and how do they cope? She LOVES her crunch veg and pellets - could she still have them?

Thanks so much ' >< '

Hello! Don't panic!
Our little Squidgy rab had his incisors removed about 6 years ago. He can still have pellets, hay and veg! His hay does need cutting up into shorter lengths, and I cut his veggies up into manageable pieces for him, but it's no problem at all for him.
A much better option than having the teeth done every month.

Hi there, my little bunnykins has wonky teeth and they grow over and I have to take once a week to get them filed down. The vet said to me that i could get her teeth removed. ALL four of her front ones would need removing.

IS THAT A GOOD THING TO DO?

I mean, she doesn't like going to the vets and it stresses her a bit, so not having to take her every month is a good point. But I mean - NO front teeth - ARE YOU SURE!? Is that cruel? How will she eat? I am unconvinced and wanted your advice, has anyone had there bunnys teeth removed and how do they cope? She LOVES her crunch veg and pellets - could she still have them?

Thanks so much ' >< '

Hey
I have had to get Blackies incisors removed due to them overgrowing and he copes really well. I have to cut up his veg smaller and cut long strands of hay but he is much better off than having his teeth filed every 4 weeks :D

After his op he ate all of his food and drank from a bottle no bother, he was a little sad for a few days but got back to his normal naughty self in no time!

If your vet recommends removing them then it is prob for the best and would be less stressful and cost less in the long run!

Its very common for buns to have their teeth removed so dont worry about it, im sure your bun will be fine :D:D

Hello, my name is Maya and I have had my front teeth removed. It is so much better without them as they were all wonky. I know I look as though I have had my ears removed too but they were just hiding :)

032.jpg

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/search.php?searchid=2094240 A number of previous threads to do with front toothless buns. I have fostered a number of these types of buns and they make excellent indoor bunnies as they are not able to chew wires.

They need a little extra care as some longer hair buns have a problem with grooming, they sometimes need hay cut up, they will need a pelleted type of food which they find easy to pick up, veg will need to be cut up for the.

Normally they cope extremely well, many people new to bunnies are not aware of how many front toothless buns which exist.

Don't remove the teeth, just put a slab of nice soft wood(Pine) and let him/her chew it. Rabbits are rodents so there teeth never stop growing, if they grow to long...they will starve to death because they cannot eat with long teeth:( Hope thats any help, good luck.:)

Don't remove the teeth, just put a slab of nice soft wood(Pine) and let him/her chew it. Rabbits are rodents so there teeth never stop growing, if they grow to long...they will starve to death because they cannot eat with long teeth:( Hope thats any help, good luck.:)

Rabbits arent rodents they are Lagomorphas :D But their teeth do constantly grown! Blckies teeth didnt sit right and even with hard wood or chews his teeth didnt grind properly hence why he needed his teeth filed and eventually removed!

I think its the best way to improve their life if the teeth dont sit properly and nothing cant be done about it! Blackie has a really good life and only visits the vet for vaccs now (unless something comes up) :D:wave:

Oh thank you all so much for your advice.

I feel so much better now. Before I imagined having to blend her food for her!

I will definitely save up to have this done for her as it will be less stressful in the long run as it will mean less trips to the vets.

Thanks again!

I have 2 "gummy buns" i.e. ones that have had their front teeth removed due to them growing wonky. By the way, all the blocks in the world for them to chew will not help as the teeth just don't match.

Mine get Science Selective pellets (not softened in any way) and grated carrots, sliced spring greens, herbs etc.

Kiki can manage hay as her back ones are lined up but Spike can't but he does manage Readigrass.

Removing them is by far the best option, although Spikes grew back once and Kikis 4 times ( a top one grew back then a bottom one etc. but they're gone for good now).

I had a gummy bunny a few years back who lived to a ripe old age. He did fine without them! The only thing I had to do special was grate carrot, everything else he managed fine!

Back