• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

wow a real money saver

Raven Rexs

Mama Doe
went to the wood yard with my friend hes a builder to see they have a shed full of white shaving i asked if i could have some and the guy said sure ended up taking 40 black bags full gave him £10 anyway so the guys can buy thier tea and coffee and biscuits its such nice shavings just like hunters its lovely and clean hardly any dust really nice im going to stock up and get some more.

There's a timber yard near my workplace which allows people to take shavings for free as long as you use your own bags/containers...I've never taken any though because I don't use shavings.

Wood shavings are not something I use as I feel that shavings pose a health risk to my animals.

Ditto

Also many Woodyard use Pine which is unsuitable to make shavings for Pet bedding.
The wood is also often chemically treated if not specifically destined to be Pet bedding

Woodshavings from softwood (this is any softwoods, pine is just the most commonly used one in shavings) emit phenols which are believed to stimulate the liver and have potential healthrisks. This can be got around by kiln-drying them but I doubt shavings straight from a wood yard would be safe to use, personally I wouldn't risk it.

If you want a bulk bedding that's cheap you could look into ordering a pallet of cardboard bedding, like Ecobed/Ecopetbed/SafeTbed or one of the many other brands. You get a discount for buying a pallet and could sell off part of the pallet to other pet owners locally for cost/a little bit extra to cover delivery to you and your storage costs - works out about £6 a bale usually when I've joined in with a pallet-share

Last edited:
i used to do it all the time until the shortage started.now i us heritage which has straw in.

Back