• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

been asked to take on 2 more rabbits.

halfpenny

Wise Old Thumper
A lady I know has asked if I would take her rabbits as the doctors have said her husband must have no animals ( he has lung disease) and they are arranging for oxygen to be taken into the house. She wants them to go to a good home and thought of me. It is very sad as she obviously loves her rabbits and her husband likes them too. They are both males, kept seperate, unneutered, but mxyi vaccines up to date.
Now I have been thinking lately that I will need to get another male as we have 2 girls and 1 male singles at the moment. The biggest problem is Sorrell is really neurotic and I'm not even sure if she will ever bond, but I would really like to try. I'm pretty sure Milly will be easy, but again I don't know how Ziggy will be.
What do I do, its means I will end up with 14 rabbits and we haven't even got our runs built.
Do I say I'll take them til she finds a home, they are in cages most of the day inside, and get a run around in the evening at the moment, so they are used to being enclosed, but still its not ideal is it!

Last edited:
I would probably take them and then try to bond them with existing buns once they are neutered. :?

That could be a problem, although we have 6 cats and 8 guinea pigs as well as the 36 rabbits if that is an consolation :lol:

I'm not very good at rehoming, especially after a few rehomes went wrong when we rehomed for a local rescue- people don't do what they promise, plus I just get too attached.
Thing is we have said we won't take in any more animals, but I feel really sorry for the lady and can imagine how I would feel if I had to give up one of my animals. I know we don't have things organised properly yet, but once our runs are built they will be better off than in most homes.

I suppose she could take them to a rescue, but the two most local ones don't vaccinate or neuter and one doesn't even do home checks, so I'm not really comfortable with that.

given the circumstances, i would take them. its a genuine reason they need to be out there asap.. im sure you would be a lovely home for them ;) xxxxxxx

I would take them as well - what's another 2 bunnies when you've already got 12!???? ;) I kept saying that when we had 6 bunnies - now look at us!!! :shock:

Good luck with your two new bunnies. (I know you are going to take them.):)

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Why do things always get complicated, we have been determinedly avoiding having to make a decision about taking on any animal, but its hard when you are asked outright.

After much discussion we have decided not to take the 2 buns.:(
Being honest we don't really have the space for 2 more rabbits at the moment, our are having to take shifts in the runs as it is, until we get our new runs built this year. We also have to try bonding Runt with Xena, and Ziggy with either Milly or Sorrell, so it wouldn't be fair to take them on, we also said we are a sanctuary and as such we should only take animals in real need, or facing PTS.
I feel really bad, but I have to be realistic, I will give the woman a number for the rescue who do homechecks and hopefully they can help.

Back