• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Separating bonded pairs?

leeanderin

Mama Doe
We've got to take Rubens to the vet tonight as he's not quite right, he's currently bonded with Dilbert, should i take them both or will they be ok if i just take Rubens and leave Dilbert at home? We should gone an hour max.

I always take both when I go to the vets. I think it helps them stay calm and makes them happier to have their mate with them. :)

I only ever take the one who needs to see the vet, but seem to be in a minority. I have to say, I've never had a problem with them being seperated for a couple of hours.

Always take them both, good vets will allow them to stay together if they are to be admited. This is less stressful to them both.

I took both of mine yesterday when Bubbles wasn't well. However, Bubbles has to go in for a dental on monday and my vet won't allow Alfie to go with her because of the risks while she is sedated :? so she will have to go alone. :( I have to say that I had already dithered about taking Alfie too, because he tends to use Bubbles as a cushion and I would worry about her getting squished.

They've told me to keep them apart for at least a day afterwards, but I plan on putting them both back together as soon as Bubbles gets home.

They've told me to keep them apart for at least a day afterwards, but I plan on putting them both back together as soon as Bubbles gets home.

Definately a good idea for helping to maintain the bond and also for reduceing the stress levels of both of them.

hopefully one day all vets will understand the rationale behind this.

I always take both, don't even give my vets a chance to say no :lol:

I couldn't risk braking the bond as only have a one bed flat, so they go everywhere together.

I'll take both then! Hubby usually take me in the car but he's at work and it's a last minute appointment so we are going on the bus and our two weigh a ton!

Definately a good idea for helping to maintain the bond and also for reduceing the stress levels of both of them.

hopefully one day all vets will understand the rationale behind this.

There was no way I was going to leave them apart for a whole day. Overall, the vet I see seems to know his stuff (from my very limited experience so far :oops:) but it's a practice policy and I don't think any of the staff actually keep rabbits - otherwise it might be a different story.

Despite my own (slightly paranoid) worries about Alfie smothering Bubbles while she's half asleep, I would still rather take them both in if I had the choice.

I take all 3 but i do worry if one ever has to go in for a operation, what would i do then if that ever did arise (hopefuly it wont)

I always take Dudley when Santa goes, my vet is happy for Dudley to stay with her if she is in for an op. But if Dudley ever needs to go along and Santa doesn't, I wouldn't take her too. I agree with the general principle of always keeping a bonded pair together, but Santa is so highly strung and is a chronic snuffler so as long as the separation is only for a short period, I think it is better for her to stay at home. I do think it's the exception rather than the rule though.

I always take 2 - & if it's a bun from the big group I pick one that'll be easy to rebond personality wise or who ill bun is close to.

I also always take their pair. Recently I had a pair divorce just from being separate for half an hour, let alone a whole vet trip.

Even when I have had buns have an operation I send them as their pair or trio, and they do great. The only one I take by herself is Summer because she is happy by herself and goes back with her pair too, and both her bonded friends would not be great at the vets (Tilly has head tilt and I worry how they would handle her because she is feisty, and Roger is petrified of hands).

I always take Dudley when Santa goes, my vet is happy for Dudley to stay with her if she is in for an op. But if Dudley ever needs to go along and Santa doesn't, I wouldn't take her too. I agree with the general principle of always keeping a bonded pair together, but Santa is so highly strung and is a chronic snuffler so as long as the separation is only for a short period, I think it is better for her to stay at home. I do think it's the exception rather than the rule though.

If Treacle was ill, I wouldn't take Calel - more for the vet's safety than anything:lol:

I take all 3 but i do worry if one ever has to go in for a operation, what would i do then if that ever did arise (hopefuly it wont)

We've got this situation on Monday now, Rubens needs to go for dental work on Monday which means Dilbert will be at home on his own :cry:

My vet lets Dudley go in and stay with Santa when she goes in for dentals under GA, they put her straight back in with him after she has woken up, and apparently he grooms her and looks after her nicely :love:

We do that with dentals too. The bonded buns go with the dental bun. My vets prefer it that way, they say the buns are so much calmer.

Back