• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

freecycle post

Beatrix Potter

Mama Doe
There was someone on freecycle lately asking for cat carriers etc as her "collection" (!) of pet bunnies was now 9.

Paula from RR emailed her asking if she needed to borrow them to take her pets to the vets as we were a bit concerned she might be keeping them in carriers...Apparently it is a case of needing some carriers for the vets but more worringly is the fact that she has about 14 rabbits that all live in a 40ft run, her son keeps "buying" rabbits for his girlfriend whos mum won't allow her to keep them so she takes those in too.

Last year she lost 3 rabbits to mxy and also a male rabbit she got off freecycle got to 4 of her females (unsurprising if they all live together) and they had TWENTY FIVE BABIES between them!

Quite concerning.....

Oh :| They need someone to go in and help them, although they may not realise they need help.

Yes I am being nice and chatty at the moment to try and gain a bit more info on them all before going in with a bit of advice for her. But very worrying .

Why not suggest they get them vaccinated and spayed/neutered? (they might not know rabbits should be vaccinated and fixed) Did the person actually say "I can't afford to"? Have they said they don't have the space for them? If not, you're jumping to conclusions, prying, and being rude by posting this on a public forum and acting as if this lady has too much on her hands.

If males and females were living together, they'd have had A LOT more babies than 25 by now.

And the fact that they are taking them to the vets proves that they aren't neglecting them. Perhaps they're taking them TO have vacs and spaying/neutering done.

Last edited:
Suggesting to the huge amount of people that regularly advertise their unwanted bunnies on freecycle that they vaccinate and get their rabbits spayed has often resulted in emails coming back to me telling me to mind my own business.

The person has not said they can't afford to, but I have touched on the subject of vaccinations and neutering to see what comes back.

No they haven't said they haven't got space just that she's "always wanted a garden full of bunnies".

I'm not jumping to any conculsions but its a bit worrying that shes standing buy and letting her son continue BUYING rabbits for a girlfriend that isn't allowed them!

I'm not being rude either I haven't mentioned this person personal details, I'm just concerned. This is a rabbit forum after all that is looking out for rabbit welfare.

"I can't afford to"? Have they said they don't have the space for them? If not, you're jumping to conclusions, prying, and being rude by posting this on a public forum and acting as if this lady has too much on her hands.

If males and females were living together, they'd have had A LOT more babies than 25 by now.

And yes you are correct on this fact.

Back