• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Nessa needs lots of vibes/ updated post 57

Hugo's There

Wise Old Thumper
Nessa is one of the Gloucestershire 61, she has a very serious upeer respiratory tract infection.

she was admitted on Monday and wasn't expected to pull through, but she held her own and has been on antibiotics and metacam since. All week she has been very poorly with episodes of mouth breathing but has regained her appetite and seems quite strong in herself.

this morning her breathing is worse than ever, there is so much discharge coming out of her nose :( even her mouth breathing seems crackly. Again she is still eating although finding it hard to breathe at the same time and is still fiesty.

I have rung the vets and am waiting for a vet to ring me back to see if we can try anything else for her. I really don't want to giive up on her as she is fighting so hard to stay with us. But at the same time I don't want her to have to struggle to much.

If anyone has any ideas for different meds we can try I would love to hear them :)

Last edited:
Nessa is one of the Gloucestershire 61, she has a very serious upeer respiratory tract infection.

she was admitted on Monday and wasn't expected to pull through, but she held her own and has been on antibiotics and metacam since. All week she has been very poorly with episodes of mouth breathing but has regained her appetite and seems quite strong in herself.

this morning her breathing is worse than ever, there is so much discharge coming out of her nose :( even her mouth breathing seems crackly. Again she is still eating although finding it hard to breathe at the same time and is still fiesty.

I have rung the vets and am waiting for a vet to ring me back to see if we can try anything else for her. I really don't want to giive up on her as she is fighting so hard to stay with us. But at the same time I don't want her to have to struggle to much.

If anyone has any ideas for different meds we can try I would love to hear them :)

dont want to sound stupid as you propb already done this but have you done a steam bath with her? it helped some of the buns with probs due to myxi to shift some of the gunk.

Oh Liz I'm so sorry to hear Nessa is so unwell. I'm sorry I don't have any other ideas as to what you can try for her, but I'm sending her lots & lots of vibes to get well soon.

Come on Nessa, keep going for your mummy & dadday - you'll have a wonderful life once you're better sweetie xxxx

Oh please dont leave us Nessa :cry:

Is she being nebulised ?
I do Sarah up to 4 times a day when she is very congested.

I use either a saline nebuliser or I nebulise an abx.

Is she on an injectable abx such as Oxytetracycline or Depocillin ?

If she could tolerate it a saline nasal flush may help clear the mucus in her nostrils.

Bisolvon, a mucolytic, may help thin out any secretions in her lungs.
If her lungs are badly effected a bronchodilator may be useful, but not if there is a lot of scaring on the lungs.

Sending mega vibes.

Oh please dont leave us Nessa :cry:

Is she being nebulised ?
I do Sarah up to 4 times a day when she is very congested.

I use either a saline nebuliser or I nebulise an abx.

Is she on an injectable abx such as Oxytetracycline or Depocillin ?

If she could tolerate it a saline nasal flush may help clear the mucus in her nostrils.

Bisolvon, a mucolytic, may help thin out any secretions in her lungs.
If her lungs are badly effected a bronchodilator may be useful, but not if there is a lot of scaring on the lungs.

Sending mega vibes.

Her lungs are ok, they have been xrayed :) She has had her tear ducts flushed and I have already asked about Bisolvon. Because it is a mucolytic it will on work on pus.

I am going to ask about the engymycin and she has already had steroid injections when admitted.

I was wondering about a nebuliser but am worried she will not tolerate it as she is so terrified of being handled, it makes her breathing so much worse. if I even stop by her cage to watch her she huddles in a corner to mouth breathe :(

Her lungs are ok, they have been xrayed :) She has had her tear ducts flushed and I have already asked about Bisolvon. Because it is a mucolytic it will on work on pus.

I am going to ask about the engymycin and she has already had steroid injections when admitted.

I was wondering about a nebuliser but am worried she will not tolerate it as she is so terrified of being handled, it makes her breathing so much worse. if I even stop by her cage to watch her she huddles in a corner to mouth breathe :(

:cry:

It really is a case of only doing as much as a particular Bun can tolerate. Thankfully the ones here who have needed nebulising are very calm and dont mind lots of hands on care. But every Bun is different aren't they.

Poor Nessa :cry:

It really is a case of only doing as much as a particular Bun can tolerate. Thankfully the ones here who have needed nebulising are very calm and dont mind lots of hands on care. But every Bun is different aren't they.

Poor Nessa :cry:

The problem is poor Nessa has only been here a week and has been sick for 5 of those days, she doesn't know me or trust me. I am just someone who pokes her nose and gives her disgusting medicine.

I don't expect she has ever been handled. She is one of the older bunnies from there and has been used as a permanent breeding machine :(

poor thing. could you do it in a carrier? as in put her in carrier adn block off everything aparet from a small opening(and small ventilation) to put nebuliser on? or would that also terrify her.. was thinking would be less human contact?x

The problem is poor Nessa has only been here a week and has been sick for 5 of those days, she doesn't know me or trust me. I am just someone who pokes her nose and gives her disgusting medicine.

I don't expect she has ever been handled. She is one of the older bunnies from there and has been used as a permanent breeding machine :(

I really feel for you as trying to help a terrified Bun is heartbreaking :cry:
If only we could make them understand that we are trying to get them well and that life does not have to be as they have known it thus far.

Poor Nessa. How amaing that she's held on all week though. Makes it so so much more desperate in a way to have her pull through when she's hanging on in there herself.
I'm afraid I've no helpful ideas but sending tons of vibes to her. I so hope she can pull through and live out the rest of her days getting to know you and Steve and feeling safe and fed and loved :love:
Good luck x x x

Vet still hasn't rung back. I called them at 9am :(

I feel so helpless, although she has managed to eat a few bits of veg :)

Nessa is still with us this morning :D

I had a bit of an arguement with the vets yesterday as my normal rabbit vet was on a day off asnd eventually got Nessa what she needs.

She is now on Engemycin injections, which is great because I don't even have to handle her to give them to her. We have also worked out a way to give her steaming bowls without having to take her out of the cage or touch her. It probably doesn't work quite as well as setting it up properly but it is the best way to benefit her.

I can also put Vick on the inside of her cage to help with her breathing.

At least now I feel i am doing a bit more to help her, it is just down to Nessa now and I know she is fighting as hard as she can:D

Back