• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rubens doesn't seem right?

leeanderin

Mama Doe
Came home last night to find to big soft, smelly bits of poo on the vet bed, took both rabbits out and Rubens had a bit of a messy bum and a bit of poo in her fur, it's really unusual as she's such a clean rabbit. I cleaned out the cage, gave them dinner later on which Rubens was eating as we went to bed.
I've come down this morning to another big smelly soft bit of poo and lots of tiny hard bits, again took Rubens out, her bum was a little mucky but not as bad last night. I've given them their excel pellets this morning, Rubens took a few then stopped eating. I've given them fresh hay and water, Rubens is now laid picking at the hay but not wolfing it down as usual - any suggestions as to what might be up? She's a neutered medium size female lop approx 3 years old.

I would take her to the Vet for a thorough examination.
Teeth problems are certainly a possibility but any GI disturbence in a Rabbit needs prompt treatment

Good luck

We're booked in for 5.10 tonight.

I'm so worried, neither of my two have had any health problems. It's probably nothing but i started crying as soon as i phoned the vets and i'm sat sobbing now, i can't bare the thought of anything happening to them :cry: i don't deal with this sort of thing very well

We're booked in for 5.10 tonight.

I'm so worried, neither of my two have had any health problems. It's probably nothing but i started crying as soon as i phoned the vets and i'm sat sobbing now, i can't bare the thought of anything happening to them :cry: i don't deal with this sort of thing very well

It is probably something straightforward and the fact that you are taking prompt action means that you are doing everything possible to help Rubens.
The fact that she is being a picky eater and is passing yucky poo is indicative of molar teeth problems. These can be sorted out by a thorough Dental under GA and subsequently a good diet based on 80-90% hay.

If its not a Dental problem then the Vet may prescribe some probiotics/prokinetics and analgesia to try to sort out her tum.
I know its hard not to worry and be upset. But try not to show that you are whilst around Rubens as Buns pick up on our anxiety.

I'll check back on here this evening and hope to read good news about Rubens :)

It is probably something straightforward and the fact that you are taking prompt action means that you are doing everything possible to help Rubens.
The fact that she is being a picky eater and is passing yucky poo is indicative of molar teeth problems. These can be sorted out by a thorough Dental under GA and subsequently a good diet based on 80-90% hay.

If its not a Dental problem then the Vet may prescribe some probiotics/prokinetics and analgesia to try to sort out her tum.
I know its hard not to worry and be upset. But try not to show that you are whilst around Rubens as Buns pick up on our anxiety.

I'll check back on here this evening and hope to read good news about Rubens :)

Thank you for all your help i'll keep you updated

Rubens has been to the vet, he has a spur on one of his molars, he is booked in for a dental first thing Monday morning. In the mean time we have Supreme Science Recovery food which is in a paste form, we've managed to get a bit down and are keeping trying as the vet said that her stomach was empty. The vet also gave her some long lasting antibiotics and painkillers which should last until the op on monday.

Thank you all again for your advice!

Rubens has been to the vet, he has a spur on one of his molars, he is booked in for a dental first thing Monday morning. In the mean time we have Supreme Science Recovery food which is in a paste form, we've managed to get a bit down and are keeping trying as the vet said that her stomach was empty. The vet also gave her some long lasting antibiotics and painkillers which should last until the op on monday.

Thank you all again for your advice!

Awwwww I am sure Rubens will feel better once her teeth are sorted out.
If she does not like the science recovery try making her usual pellet feed into a mash by soaking them in boiled water and allowing them to cool.

Some gratted Veg may be easier for her to eat too. Do keep a check on her poo output. If her guts are empty she is at risk of GI stasis. If she does not poo overnight then she should really be seen by a vet again as she may need some Metoclopromide, a gut motility stimulant.

Awwwww I am sure Rubens will feel better once her teeth are sorted out.
If she does not like the science recovery try making her usual pellet feed into a mash by soaking them in boiled water and allowing them to cool.

Some gratted Veg may be easier for her to eat too. Do keep a check on her poo output. If her guts are empty she is at risk of GI stasis. If she does not poo overnight then she should really be seen by a vet again as she may need some Metoclopromide, a gut motility stimulant.

Thanks again for the advice, we're getting a couple of spoons in every half hour at the moment and have been giving her some leafs, she's picked at a bit of kale and mint and so far has had three spoons of recovery food, we'll keep trying to get stuff inside her though. I'll keep the thread updated so you know how she's getting on.

She's eaten three quarters of the recovery food, has had three raisins, half a dozen mint leafs, two small pieces of kale and a small chunk of brocolli. I'm really pleased with her. She's also drank a fair bit of water out of a bowl.

She's eaten three quarters of the recovery food, has had three raisins, half a dozen mint leafs, two small pieces of kale and a small chunk of brocolli. I'm really pleased with her. She's also drank a fair bit of water out of a bowl.

i agree with everyting jane is saying (she's mega knowledgeable!) and i hope Reubens gets well soon. but i dont think you are supposed to give rabbits raisins??? i could be wrong, but perhaps best to be safe than sorry, especially if Reubens is generally not well at the moment.

I'm glad you've found out what this is and it's getting sorted! I should stop reading the health section as it's making me cry and i'm not even touching rainbow bridge i'll be sobbing all day! At least, in a way, it's good to learn from other peoples experiences, however i never want anyone else's rabbit to get sick. Hope it all goes well!

Rubens I hope you have produced some poo for your Mum !!

I agree that Raisins are best avoided for now. They contain lots of sugar which can cause gut problems, especially if Bun has had a shot of antibiotics.
Wait til after her Dental, then the odd Raisin as a very occassional treat will be OK ;)

If you can obtain some Fibreplex, a pro/prebiotic paste with added fibre, that would be good for her tum.

http://www.vetuk.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1180

As long as there is some food going in and poo coming out Rubens should do OK til her teeth get sorted out on Monday :)

Rubens I hope you have produced some poo for your Mum !!

I agree that Raisins are best avoided for now. They contain lots of sugar which can cause gut problems, especially if Bun has had a shot of antibiotics.
Wait til after her Dental, then the odd Raisin as a very occassional treat will be OK ;)

If you can obtain some Fibreplex, a pro/prebiotic paste with added fibre, that would be good for her tum.

http://www.vetuk.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1180

As long as there is some food going in and poo coming out Rubens should do OK til her teeth get sorted out on Monday :)

Rubens has produced alot of poo! She's eaten mushed down excel pellets this morning. We only given raisins as an occasional treat and i was desperate to tempt her to eat something last night but we'll keep her off them until after her op. She's still a bit quiet but at least she's eating.

Rubens has produced alot of poo! She's eaten mushed down excel pellets this morning. We only given raisins as an occasional treat and i was desperate to tempt her to eat something last night but we'll keep her off them until after her op. She's still a bit quiet but at least she's eating.

Sounding good :)

She's perked up a little and has been playing with toys. She's still eating mashed up food.

The vet never mentioned it but am i right in thinking that Rubens shouldn't have breakfast before the op on Monday?

Back