• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help on my bunnys body

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daniel1Dirk

Banned
Hi all,:wave: I was wondering if you could give some advice about my bunny? The problem is that I keep two males in one hutch, so the bigger male picks on my bunny, and my bunny now has two monstrous cuts and is was bleeding. Any advice?

firstly I would separate your bunnies immediately.How old are they and have they been neutered?One of your bucks is more dominant that the other and he will inflict serious injury on your other bun.I would take the bunny with the cut to the vets as he will need a course of antibiotics to stop the wounds getting infected.
If they are not neutered I would advise getting them both done and after 6 weeks when the hormones have settled down try bonding them in a neutral place.If this doent work it may be worth looking to a rescue to bond them each with a speyed doe

Last edited:
firstly I would separate your bunnies immediately.How old are they and have they been neutered?One of your bucks is more dominant that the other and he will inflict serious injury on your other bun.I would take the bunny with the cut to the vets as he will need a course of antibiotics to stop the wounds getting infected.
If they are not neutered I would advise getting them both done and after 6 weeks when the hormones have settled down try bonding them in a neutral place.If this doent work it may be worth looking to a rescue to bond them each with a speyed doe

Ditto

Un-neutered Bucks can bite off each others testicles.

If you leave them together you will end up with at least one dead Rabbit

2 male will not get along. W/ most bonding, it's always 1 male + 1 female. And a male, + 1 female must be introduce in neutral territory, such as the backyard. The introduction can take anywhere from 20 min. to 6 mth.

2 males in a cage will fight for territory.

I agree that they need to be separated and placed in permanent separate accommodation asap.

Male rabbits can get along, both neutered and unneutered (although, to be fair, it's not as common as other pairings of rabbits) but it depends on the personalities of the rabbits, and it sounds like your two buns definitely are not getting on at this time.So, therefore, for their welfare you need to separate them.

If they are unneutered and you get them neutered then there is a slim chance you could rebond them back, although that would be an unlikely result, in my eyes.

I also think you need the one who has been picked on, to be checked thoroughly by a vet.

firstly immediatly seperate else this wil lend in death. then make sure both have decent sized accomodation (ie a min size 5ft hutch and a run of free range time out of it for around 3hours min) get the injured bun(well infact get both buns) up to a rabbit savvy vet to check them over and if nessacery give antibiotics to stop infection and dress or stitch wounds.
once both boys are neutered you could try rebonding in a nuetral small enviroment or ask a rescue to do this for you if they wont boond tehn you need to get each a female nuetuered companion so they arent lonely xx

Thanks, Both bunnys are from the same mother, its just that there from different batches (if you call it that), so there about 1-2 month apart from eachother I'm not sure. But I can't seperate them because I only have a two sided hutch, and I keep the females in one side. What should I do?

Last edited:
Priority is a Vets visit to look at the wounds, that's of much more use than showing us the piccies.

Ok takes deep breath................................

Firstly it is extremely cruel to keep the 2 Bucks together in the same hutch. Their fighting will get worse, particularly if they can smell the females.

Why are you breeding Rabbits when you appear to have little knowledge of their care :?

As I said in my previous post, the Bucks can give each other life threatening injuries and it is your responsibility to make sure this does not happen.

Rather than wasting time posting photographs of what you have said are 'bleeding wounds' your time would be better spent seeking Veterinary attention for the injured Rabbits. That too is your responsibility

If this post comes across as curt then I am affraid it is because I am both upset and frustrated that yet again Rabbits are suffering because their carer has limited knowledge about them yet continues to breed them

Last edited:
If you are a responsible owner you will get different accommodation for each rabbit. If you are a responsible owner you will take your bun to the vets ASAP.

If you count yourself as responsible, you will do those things and listen to replies :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back