• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is it true

ironically tomatoes potatoes and peppers are all part of the deadly nightshade family, but yet buns can have a small amount of green pepper and tomato, i only ever give deseeded home grown tomatoes in the summer as a very small treat, as im intolorant to shop tomatoes yet perfectly fine with homegrown, if underipe they are quite acidic and shop bought one sare picked before they ready
cumcumber is lethal but i dont give it to them, nothing wrong with sticking to hearty veg and herbs

I've given small amounts of tomato and cucumber with no ill effects, although it's not something I give regularly. I don't like cucumber anyway so wouldn't buy it, but when I worked with food I used to give the leftover cucumber bits.

Mine have always eaten both with no problems and find that they go mad for them especially in the summer months.
I also feed red,green,yellow and orange peppers.

ironically tomatoes potatoes and peppers are all part of the deadly nightshade family, but yet buns can have a small amount of green pepper and tomato, i only ever give deseeded home grown tomatoes in the summer as a very small treat, as im intolorant to shop tomatoes yet perfectly fine with homegrown, if underipe they are quite acidic and shop bought one sare picked before they ready
cumcumber is lethal but i dont give it to them, nothing wrong with sticking to hearty veg and herbs

Mine love cucumber and tomatoes . I think tomato leaves are toxic to rabbits though. What did you mean when you said cucumbers are lethal?

I feed cucumber and cherry or plum tomatoes occasionally....it's tomato leaves you need to watch out for. When was the book published?

I have also given both although Arnie hates tomato - You should see his discusted face!

Sometimes cucumber has wax on it (like apples) so you could skin it first. Although I would imagine in small amounts a usual cucumber is fine :? It has a fair bit of water in it so if given loads may create running poop.

Tomato leaves are lethal.

I also feel red and green peppers, never had any problems and have never heard of any. They love their pepper so would hate it if they never had it again.

I have made up my list of do's and dont'd by reading through similar posts on the forum. Certain foods I would never feed and some I have been surprised I can feed although haven't tried.

I think the main thing is to remember with any new food, give a small amount and if they act strange get them straight to a vet. I suppose any mammal is likely to react differently to each food.

Mine have tomato and cucumber with no problems :wave:

I thought it was the tomato leaves they could not have

:shock: blimey I nearly died! My house buns on occasion have cucumber and tomato. Cucumber they just have each end that we cut off and tomato they just have the ends too. Not very often.
Well they're both still here and seem ok. Phew!
I'm glad other buns have had it too, thought I'd poisoned them for a mo then! :shock: :oops:

I ocassionally give my buns cucumber chunks for a treat, especially in hot weather. They love them, and have never had any ill effects. :D

I feed cucumber and cherry or plum tomatoes occasionally....it's tomato leaves you need to watch out for. When was the book published?

I'm not sure, but it says if you want a companion for your rabbit the best thing you can get is a guinea pig, so it's not a new book. Mine have had cucumber and tomatoes, and its never caused any problems and most bunny owners i know give their buns cucumber and tomatoes :?

i worded the cumcumber bit wrong not as a killer they sometimes have a wax on them, there are a diretic (?) not really good if you have a dihydrated bun
didnt mean to scare soz:oops:
and yes the leaves should be avoided, same with runner bean leaves and potatoe leaves

Back