• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

should have done more :-(

wiggie

Alpha Buck
A friend spoke to me 3 days ago about her rabbit who wasn't herself, had runny poo and hadn't eaten since that morning. She was planning to wait and see till the next day before taking her to the vets:shock:. I begged her to take the rabbit that day and said the next day might be too late and when I left her that's what she was planning to do. I saw her today... she went home saw the rabbit nibbling some hay and so didn't take her. By the next day she was worse and so my friend rang the vet but made a normal appt for the afternoon:shock:. The rabbit died an hour after getting to the vets:cry:. I wish I had done more and followed this up. I think she just thought I was that mad rabbit woman making a fuss about nothing when I spoke to her but I really thought she was going to take the rabbit that day. I know we don't know the reason for the illness but she would have had a much better chance if she'd got to the vets earlier.
Just feeling guilty and sad.
x

You did everything within your power to help the Bun.
Sadly some people either choose to ignore advice or are not educated enough re Rabbit ailments to realise that 'waiting to see how Bun is in the morning' is seldom an option.
It is very upsetting and frustrating, but sometimes we cant do anything more than offer advice......:cry:

You did everything you could, especially as this bun was not your responsibility.

Remember that guilt is part of grief, and its natural for you to grieve for this bun. Also, sometimes its easier to blame ourselves than to realise that we didn't have control over it and it would/might have happened anyway.

We can't save them all, all we can do is try our best, which is what you did.

You definately did all you could, unfortunately a lot of people don't think along the same lines as we all do. I had a phonecall one Sunday morning (well o/h took the call) he was asked if I could give them some advice as what to do because their rabbit was going in and out of consiousness. David replied Take it to a vet, she said yeh but what would Kay do:shock: He said we would take it to a vet and she replied what on a Sunday:shock: David wasn't impressed and then said take it to the vet before I report you for neglecting an animal that needs veterinay treatment. He gave her my vets and I left it an hour and sneakly rang my vets to see if she had taken it:oops: luckly for her she had. I wouldn't mind I didn't even know the woman someone gave her my number:roll:

Back