• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny proof playhouse - any advice?

Snowy123

New Kit
Hi Everyone,

I came across the forum after adopting 2 rabbits from my nextdoor neighbour, and just want to say how valuable all the advice i've found on here has been. Their children had just got a new puppy and were no longer interested in the poor bunnies:cry:

Sadly the eldest one, Fluffy died towards the end of last year. Last week we adopted a lionhead named Dexter. Dexter and snowy are currently living inside at the moment in seperate cages until he is neutered and they can be bonded.

I want to upgrade their outside accomodation to something bigger and am currently looking at playhouses. I was just wondering how other people have gone about bunnyproofing their playhouses as I want to make sure they are completely safe and secure. Dexter is quite a lively lad and loves running about and jumping so I also want to attach a large run to the playhouse, any advice on how to go about this would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry for rambling on a bit:roll:

Last edited:
If they start chewing corners you can buy metal pieces of cornering from B&Q and Wickes and attach them to corners to stop this. Obviously if there are windows you will need to put some proper galvanised wire mesh over them.

As for attaching the run to the playhouse you should be able to just butt the run up against the playhouse and then screen the run to the playhouse. If the playhouse is smaller than the side of the run you should be able to take some batons of wood and make a new side for the run with a hole in the middle for them to get through.
I did some tricky joining here:
DSCF0242.jpg

You can make them removable by using "hasp and staple" latches to connect like this:
DSCF0261.jpg

(that is an old hutch and run that I don't use any more because they were quite small)

I tend to put NIC grids around the inner wall of playhouses to stop bunny nibbling the tasty wood :shock: :lol: One playhouse I have lined with plywood so all the joists etc are protected. Under the plywood is insulation so its warm and cosy :D Wire mesh can also be stapled around he inside.

Back