• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding indoors or in new hutch?

Stator

Warren Veteran
What do people think would be the best option for bonding my existing two girls with two boys to be kept in a group of four? If it doesn't work out they will be split into two sets of two. (All neutered)

1. Put them all into the new hutch/shed with run that I have built them and none of them have ever been in. The hutch is 6ft x 2.5ft with two floors 2ft and more high. It's outdoors but I can see it easily from my upstairs room and the kitchen. The advantage of this is that they won't be so nervous because they won't be able to see me, although clearly I will be keeping a very close eye on them. The disadvantage is that I won't be able to watch them whilst I'm asleep.
2. Keep them inside in the kitchen with the heating turned off. I have this pen (the big one) to keep them in. The problem with this is that they are generally nervous bunnies and don't eat when they are nervous. So by keeping them in the kitchen with me about this might cause them to stop eating and make them ill. The advantage is clearly I can keep a very close eye on them and I can even sleep in the kitchen so anything serious would wake me up.

Any opinions welcome.

Last edited:
I would do it inside to be honest. They need supervising for the first 48 hours really and having them outside you just wouldnt be able to keep a close enough eye on them.

From my own personal experience I would definatley go with option 2. Option 1 is a no go one in the weather we currenly have, it is an option I would only suggest in the very heat of the summer so you can keep the doors and windows open.

When you first put them in the touch I would advise for the first 48 hours to only let them have one level, after a further 48 hours I woul then let them have both levels.

I recently bonded 2 girls and 2 boys and they stayed indoors for 4 days until they were ok to put outside.

Back