• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Indoor buns unsupervised free range or not?

Unsupervised free ranging or not?

• Total voters

Boudicca

Warren Veteran
I feel so guilty locking my bunnies in their cage (although its three stories of NIC cubes!!) during the day when I go to work, that I just couldn't do it yesterday! They had access to the dining room and lounge. I was living in fear all day of what I would find, but they were as good as gold and bizarrely had been super good with their toilet habits?! So for being good bunnies I have left them out today as well! How many of you with indoor bunnies leave them free ranging in the house when you're not there.

with stitch(my old foster bun.rip) he ahd free range whenever he liked and was only in overnight as was very good with coco latest foster bun he is a nightmare adn wees adn poops everywhere!!!!! so he only out when i was home so he now is outside(still had a winter coat) n a large hutch an d a run. x

I really want to, but my bun lives in my bedroom where he could get to wires if he had all day to work it out, or he'd destroy my bed, or pull up the carpet (again), learn how to open the door (well, remember) and then eat the wires outside my room...

If he lived downstairs I'd leave him out though :D

I let them out from 6am till 8.30 but then I'm not back from work 'till 6pm when they come out again until I go to bed. It must seem like an eternity for a little bunny. Although when Im there all day Ive noticed they tend to charge around for 2-3hoirs non stop then sleep most of the day?!

Bily and Bonnie have 24 hours run of the house....theyre not too bad generally,they tend to chew paper more than anything ,they sleep under my bed and potter up and downstairs as and when they wish!!

Phelix is freerange 24/7 :wave:

He isn't a chewer though, but does like to mark his territory at the backdoor! :lol:

I used to shut B away at night because of the weeing on her sofa issue but kept her out one night and she actually makes less mess on sofa over night so shes now only shut away when i hoover her room.

I leave certain ones in my room when I go out, on a rotation basis, because it's all completely rabbit proofed and these particular ones are trustworthy. I have a trio who get into mischief wherever possible and they can't be trusted or left. EVER!

I am thinking I may brave this for the day tomorrow...they only manage to escape from their run anyway :)

Coco is let loose in our dining room when we are out - but he goes in his cage to use the toilet.
He did used to chew the wallpaper and eat the skirting and walls but he seems to have grown out of it now. (Hmmm, thinking I maybe shouldn't have said that cos I may jinx his current good behaviour! :lol:)

Kermit is left out of his cage all day when im at work.....he always stays in the living room, the door into the hall is open but he just doesnt go there!

I have a couple of cushions at my TV cables and phone cable, but thats it....i switch them all off at the socket before i leave in the morning, so if he ever did bite them it wouldnt be that big a deal.

He is always good as gold....to be honest i think he just sleeps most of the day.

He only goes in his cage at night time, from 11pm until 5.30am, he usually jumps back in himself about 10 - 11ish and i just shut it over then....he is a good boy!!

alvin and pearl are still very destructive when im there so they do get locked in when i cant watch them.. i dont feel bad tho cus they have each other and the cage is HUGE and i let them out as soon as i get home (ish)... they have less space when they are out and hide under the sofa :roll:

Blue gets shut in the kitchen when we're out, other than that and when we're in bed he's free range all the time.
He's a good boy!

I'm quite surprised, I thought more would be shut in during the day! Do you think it makes a difference to their naughtiness if the buns are a bit older and neutered. Ive noticed that since Dudley was neutered a couple of months ago hes become really docile and is a very good boy. Madam minxy however is into everything! its her I'm most worried about tearing up carpet and furniture! When I'm home they have access to all of downstairs and the stairs bathroom and landing. Strangely, Daisy zooms up and down the stairs but Dudley wont set foot on them :??!

Blues only 18 months old but he's been free ranging since he was done at 6 months. Not sure I'd be happy letting an un-neutered male free range unsupervised. Think I'd worry about spraying.

If there are no dangers to the rabbits (eg live power cables) and you aren't worried if they chew some edges then I say yes let them free range.

Boris gets shut in when we go out and when we go to sleep,I would very much like to leave him out 24/7 but if I did,he'd demolish the house. :roll: He'll eat just about anything :shock: It's only a temporary solution though,once we get the basement sorted mum has agreed to let him have free range of it. Which is great :D He's gonna love it down there.

Daisy, the gentle little sweetheart that she was, could be trusted free range constantly as she always used her tray and was completely uninterested in cable chewing, she just liked the odd nibble at the wallpaper (woodchip in a rented house which I replaced). Fidget has to stay in her cage though as she will chew anything and everything - if it's small enough to get her mouth on it she'll have a go (and even if its not, usually). It depends from rabbit to rabbit, some are fine and find other ways of entertaining themselves. Some are little devils and need to be watched :lol:.

Back