• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Tiggy will not eat, she's hardly moving and things just don't feel right.

Scooner

Young Bun
Hello,

I'm a bit worried as Tiggy, my three year old rescue bun, stopped eating last night. She was fine during the day but when i came to give her and oscar their last feed she was just lying down and didn't rush to her bowl (like she normally would).

She did jump into her litter tray though and did a couple of poos, so we left her for the night. I woke up this morning and she was in the same spot, again she wouldn't eat , was very quiet and breathing very quickly!

i took her straight to the vets and they have given me some recovery food and some solution to keep her digestive system working but i'm still worried.

Has anyone experienced this before, and what is the best course of action. i'm really worried i'm not sure what to do.

thanks
frankie

When you say a solution what do you mean? Was this given by needle or have you got to give it orally? If shes not eating she will need an injection to help her gut start moving. (sorry dont know the name of it) Did the vet feel her tummy and check her teeth and has she been given a painkiller?

Hi,

it has to be given orally, Tiggy is really fiesty and hates people touching her so it was very hard to keep her calm while the Vet looked at her tummy and teeth. We finally managed and they all seemed fine, the oral solution will get her gut moving so hopefully that's instead of an injection? To be honest i think after the fuss of trying the examine her, the vet was worried about giving her injection as well. Do you think she should have had one?

has she had any gut stimulant? injection or orally? she wil need this as well as pain relife metacam.
also you can try givind baby infacol and syringe feed science recovery and water t o her give her a bowl to drink from and keep her warm try gently massageing her tummy too x

Is the bun inside? If shes an outdoor bun I would bring her in as he wont be able to regulate her temp if shes poorly. I recommend you take her back to the vets for pain relief and to check what youve been given is a gut stimulant. How is she now?

she seems calmer, oscar is snuggled up to her keeping her snug. And she has moved about a bit which is good.

The solution i've given her is a gut stimulant, so hopefully that will have some effect and i'll see if i can get her back to the vets for some pain relief.

Oh they are indoor buns, but i've moved them into the living room so i can keep a much better eye on her.

My partner is home soon and he is going to help me syringe feed her and give her her medication again as i'm worried i'm not getting enough in on my own- like i said she's a fiesty girl even when ill!

Thanks for all the advice, it's making me feel a lot calmer i'll just have to follow it best i can and hope that she gets better.

Try to encourage some additional fluids which may help things. I tend to add a dash of boiling to bring it up to room temperature and put it in a bowl as they like to drink from a bowl rather than a bottle. Keep her warm. You could also try to get her to move around a bit to help keep guts moving but don't stress her out too much either.

Good luck.

as long as it's not bloat, then it's easy to fix, because it would be a simple GI stasis.

If it's bloat, it's important to know that it is a physical blockage, like chew a piece of furniture and blocking the intestine or something NOT physical, which can be resolved w/o surgery.

If it is an item blocking the intestine causing bloat, you have to do surgery and the risk is very high. If not, and the vet said it's just a GI stasis, click the following link

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=124510

Hello,

Sorry to say that Tiggy died about an hour ago. She spent the night at the vet hospital and they did an amazing job but unfortunately nothing could save her as she didn't seem to respond to any treatment. We knew as soon as we took her in yesterday that she probably wasn't coming back, but at least she was comfortable. She died peacefully and she had a very happy life with us. We will miss her terribly and so will Oscar, our other bun. I can't even think about getting another rabbit at the moment but Oscar will need company as he is so used to having other rabbits around.

Thank you for all of your advice

Hello,

Sorry to say that Tiggy died about an hour ago. She spent the night at the vet hospital and they did an amazing job but unfortunately nothing could save her as she didn't seem to respond to any treatment. We knew as soon as we took her in yesterday that she probably wasn't coming back, but at least she was comfortable. She died peacefully and she had a very happy life with us. We will miss her terribly and so will Oscar, our other bun. I can't even think about getting another rabbit at the moment but Oscar will need company as he is so used to having other rabbits around.

Thank you for all of your advice

I am sorry you lost her :cry:

Back