• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I Have Baby Buns! 18 Days Pics Post 55

Madmoo

Alpha Buck
Hi All

I have posted a thread in Rabbits in Need regarding my latest two foster buns. Long story, see thread, but initially was under the impression I had two boys. Then found out I had two girls.

Then, last night, discovered a nest with babies in. :shock: Ive had no experience of baby buns so Ive asked the advice of a couple of forum members. Will keep you posted on progress.

Could I have some positive vibes for these little ones and for my sanity as Im in a panic that Im now responsible for these tiny little things! :?:lol:

Last edited:
So far, so good. Two days in now and I have left babies alone and stopped myself from having a nose at them (it's so hard tho as Im so keen to see what they look like!).

Mum is fine, eating and drinking well but probably just wondering what Ive done with her sister. (She is currently living underneath her).

Im now waiting to see a nest appear in the sister's hutch tho! :roll:

I think you should have a look. Babies can be handled from the go, generally. It would be worthwhile just checking that they all look ok, noting for any deformities or problems, and check the umbilical chord wound, that it looks clean.

Don't have any strong smells on your hands, like soap, or anything, then if you stroke mum first, then you will have her smell on your hands. Someone can give her a fuss and give her some food (or maybe even take her out of the cage), and then someone else can check the kits.

If you think she might be funny you can put a dab of vanilla above her nose and by the time that wears off the kits will smell of her again.

Just smooosh your hand in the 'mucky' corner and then look at them i have always checked and handled from birth xx

Bunny mummy doing well, eating plenty of hay, pellets and dark green veg. Seems to be taking it all in her stride. Had a sneaky peek in nest last night whilst mum was tucking in to her greens. Wiped my hands in her wee corner before touching nest :oops: Looks as tho there are 6 baldy babies :shock::shock: They were all warm and snuggly - lovely!

Update: Looks more like seven or eight babies :shock::shock:

Havent wanted to disturb them too much so haven't been able to do perfect head count yet. However, they seem to be doing well. They are all snuggled up lovely and warm together and are beginning to get their lovely downy fur. :love: One of them seem to have shiny silver fur - very cute. I can't wait to witness their progress. This is the first time for me with baby buns and Im smitten already.

Goodness knows how Im ever gonna rehome this lot as I wanna keep them all!

You do need to give them a proper check and also check there are no dead babies right at the bottom or anywhere, and that all kits currently look healthy and fed.

Hi All

Thought I'd let you see the little buns :love:

This is Mum, Shimmer:

Feb2009012.jpg

And these are her little bundles. They are now 9 days old:

Feb2009014.jpg

Feb2009015.jpg

Feb2009016.jpg

Feb2009017.jpg

Feb2009018.jpg

Feb2009019.jpg

Sorry about the pic overload but I could spend all day watching them!

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww !! :love: :love: :love: :love:

They are even more enthralling when they venture from the nest !! You wont get a thing done as you'll spend all day going :love: :love: :love: :love:

They are beautiful, really, really, gorgeous.

They will need to be checked each day, as in take each bun out and check it over, especially over the next few days because it's when they could potentially get eye infections.

I can't wait to see more pics!

Back