• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Spay - Post op care

Rose

Mama Doe
Hopefully Molly will be spayed in the next week or so :D

So i need some advice as i have only ever cared for Jack when he was neutered.

Although her cage is indoor it gets very cold in the bunny room so ill try and move it in the kitchen if its ok with my mum also give it a mega clean.

Should i just use sheets and blankets with newspaper instead of straw?

Also do they use stitches because i know Molly will think their something to eat? :roll:

Thanks

:wave: Yes I would use sheets and blankets/towels etc instead of straw - I'd pop some hay in a rack so she can still munch but without it touching her wounds.

The exact way of stitching does vary from vet to vet but some vets who do a lot of bunnies tend to do all the stitches internally on bunny spays, so that there is no external stitching for the rabbit to chew on - I would ask your vet if they are able to do this. I have seen some people use a sock with holes cut in it, or a babygrow, to stop a bunny from chewing spay stitches, it's not ideal but I think it is probably preferable to a collar if she really won't leave them alone.

Other than that, I would just leave her somewhere warm and quiet with some tempting foods and a bowl (not just a bottle) of water. Don't fret too much about her being quiet and not wanting to eat on the night after the op, I'm sure you wouldn't fancy running around and eating a 3 course meal the night of a hysterectomy :) I would only start to worry if she's still like it the following morning.

Hopefully everything will go smoothly and she will be just fine :)

:wave: Yes I would use sheets and blankets/towels etc instead of straw - I'd pop some hay in a rack so she can still munch but without it touching her wounds.

The exact way of stitching does vary from vet to vet but some vets who do a lot of bunnies tend to do all the stitches internally on bunny spays, so that there is no external stitching for the rabbit to chew on - I would ask your vet if they are able to do this. I have seen some people use a sock with holes cut in it, or a babygrow, to stop a bunny from chewing spay stitches, it's not ideal but I think it is probably preferable to a collar if she really won't leave them alone.

Other than that, I would just leave her somewhere warm and quiet with some tempting foods and a bowl (not just a bottle) of water. Don't fret too much about her being quiet and not wanting to eat on the night after the op, I'm sure you wouldn't fancy running around and eating a 3 course meal the night of a hysterectomy :) I would only start to worry if she's still like it the following morning.

Hopefully everything will go smoothly and she will be just fine :)

Thank you, ill phone them tomorrow to try and book her in ASAP.
I didn;t really worry about Jack but i guess spays are much more stressful. I was talking to Molly about it, i like you do :oops::lol: and i swear she understood everything i said :lol:

Sophie got so stressed with the collar I took it off. only for her to chew the stitches out at 11pm and I had not access to the emergency vets! So yes Im the sock lady! she is so petite, it was the only thing I could find to put on her!

See how she goes with the collar, Autumn was fine, and didn't bother with her stitches either :) but in the first few days if she doesn't have the collar on put some sort of barrier between bunny and the stitches

Back