• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

???sore hocks help

hilary

Warren Scout
my oh was putting rabbits in for the night and Gizmo wasnt able to jump up into hutch as well -so im sitting on bed with him now checking him over hind legs -very red at 'heels' not broken no fluid is this what is meant by sore hocks?? not of my buns ever had this.

newspaper and straw in bed part of hutch then newspaper wood shavings in open part. the run is 1/4flagged rest of it mud at minute with so much rain but he has been climbing up on hutch and jumping into garden over past few wks

Angel one of my bunnies has sore hocks,her run was on flags.I put down rubber stable matting and it does seem to have done the trick.
You do need to try and keep her hocks dry though.
Sudacreme is good for sore hocks or any other baby nappy rash cream:D

I have three bunnies and one of them almost always has sore hocks--though only no fur on the back heels and redness, nothing bleedy.
I wonder if she gets this because she is the most active (she's my climber) or because she has different fur--almost Rex like--or maybe both. I try to keep her nails short, but I hate to cut them because I am paranoid of hurting her.
I put antibacterial cream on her hocks. Is nappy cream better though?

Back